Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th July 2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Richard

Default Early Royal Horse Artillery sword

I thought I would post some photos of this very early Royal Horse Artillery sword.

This sword is the so-called coffin hilt pattern, made between 1793 and 1795 by the cutler John Knubley of 7 Charing Cross. The pommel cap and the scabbard both bear the arms of the Board of Ordnance under whose command and control the Royal Regiment of Artillery fell, hence the arms were shared by the RA. The blade is blue and gilt by J J RUNKEL SOHLINGEN.

Robson tells us that officers of the Royal Artillery carried the infantry pattern sword at that time but that officers of the Royal Horse Artillery adopted cavalry uniform and weapons. Hence, this sword is almost certainly Royal Horse Artillery.

The first two troops of the Royal Horse Artillery - A and B - were raised in January 1793 and commanded respectively by Captains Robert Lawson and John Macleod. Troops C and D were raised in November 1793 commanded by Captains Howorth and Hadden. Troops E and F were raised in September 1794 commanded by Captains Cuppage and Butler. By 1795, Lawson had been promoted Lt Col and Macleod and Cuppage were Majors. However, the Royal Horse Artillery still remained very much part of the Royal Artillery and does not have any separate designation in the 1797 army lists (i.e. all of the foregoing officers are simply listed as officers of the RA).

I would like to think that this is Lt Col Lawson's sword but obviously there is no way of proving this. However, the sword is certainly the earliest RHA sword I have ever come across.

Richard
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an outstanding example of these most interesting early British cavalry sabre hilts, which werent really around that long. I have always thought they were interesting as they reflect the Continental styles of sabre hilts with the flat pommel cap very much like some of the German and Austrian cavalry sabres of 1770s. J.J.Runkel was actually an importer based in London and not a Solingen maker, and it has always brought to my mind thoughts that these German influences may have been brought into the British hilts. I know that Thomas Gill, despite his pronounced rebuttals against imported German blades, seems to have been notably influenced by German styling in the elements of his hilts in the M1788.

While it of course cannot be proven that this sword belonged to Lt. Col. Lawson as noted, the very nicely presented detective work and supporting material is most compelling. Thank you so much for sharing this Richard!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Richard, in doing more research on this, I am noticing that the shield that appears with the arms of the Board of Ordnance was granted in 1806, and not officially granted until 1823. The period of use of these rather rare hilt style sabres seems to fall into the period suggested here, c.1790 with those used by officers of the 10th Light Dragoons (used until about 1804) and the only other unit Robson notes having these, the 30th Light Dragoons (1794-96).

I am wondering if the Board of Ordnance would have been using these armorial bearings as early as the 1793 date set for the origin of the first troops of Royal Horse Artillery. Perhaps as is often the case, the arms may have already been prescribed as seen pending official transaction.While it seems that it would be difficult to say which of these original RHA officers this might have belonged to, it does suggest that this sabre may well be an anomaly custom made for one of them reflecting one of these units.

After 1796 and the introduction of the new light cavalry sabres designated in that year, Robson notes that the troopers would carry these pattern sabres 'as needed'. Around 1806, the officers of the 10th Hussars were presented with a new design for thier sabres which superceded the earlier style hilt, and these were produced in small number c.1806-1810 I believe.

I had not realized how distinctly rare this pattern hilt was, and quite honestly have never heard it referred to as the 'coffin pattern'. Richard, can you specify the source or more on the term and more on the history of these hilts? Robson is notably vague on the pattern and whether these were the only units who received them etc.

Interestingly, the maker of this sword, John Knubley, was active as primarily a gunmaker but took over from Thomas Gill at 11 Charing Cross in 1786 where he remained active until 1792, then moving to 7 Charing Cross in 1792, where he continued until 1794. He died in 1795. In Robson, the sword with this hilt pattern to the 30th Light Dragoons has a blade by Thomas Gill. As I earlier noted, Thomas Gill's sword's seemed to reflect distinct German style features, and I wonder if perhaps he might have been somehow instrumental in the design of this type hilt.
Whatever the case, the sword must be dated of course c.1793-94.

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 9th July 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Richard

Hey Jim! I don't want to give away too much about these "coffin hilts" (the name comes from the shape of the pommel cap) as they form a chapter in the new book (as indeed also does Mr Runkel - I have much new information from his descendant Mr Harmut Runkel). However, as you say, they all date from around 1790 to 1796 and generally fall into three categories:
  1. Those carried by the 10th Light Dragoons
  2. Other regimental examples
  3. Unattributed examples

The 10th Light Dragoons examples start with the 16 no made by Foster and given by the POW to the 10th in 1792 - I have one of these and attach photo below. Thereafter, others marked to the 10th are known but differing in detail from the original 16.

Other regimental examples are known to 7th and 30th Light Dragoons and now to the RHA. There are also examples known to volunteer units including Leeds Light Dragoons and Warwick light dragoons.

Many unattributed examples also exist - photos of another of mine by Gill also below. There are also examples of naval coffin hilts.

Richard
Attached Images

Old 10th July 2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Richard, and really excited about the book!!! Well understood about the term 'coffin hilt' and thank you for sharing an expanded view of the variations produced. These are amazing examples and I would really love to see your collection published in entirety . I'm really looking forward to more on the mysterious Mr. Runkle, who is a familiar fixture in the literature on British military swords, but only vaguely noted in reference without much detail on his role in the network of blade production.

All the best,
Jim
Old 10th July 2011, 03:50 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Magnificent sword indeed, Richard.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you so much Richard, and really excited about the book!!! Well understood about the term 'coffin hilt' and thank you for sharing an expanded view of the variations produced. These are amazing examples and I would really love to see your collection published in entirety . I'm really looking forward to more on the mysterious Mr. Runkle, who is a familiar fixture in the literature on British military swords, but only vaguely noted in reference without much detail on his role in the network of blade production.

All the best,
Jim
Hi Jim

The big question about Runkel is that if he was simply an importer, who actually made the blades he imported. Well, we've answered that one for sure. It'll be in the book!

Richard
Old 10th July 2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Magnificent sword indeed, Richard.
Indeed and I am but a temporary guardian!
Old 11th July 2011, 03:28 AM   #9
Hotspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Hi Jim

The big question about Runkel is that if he was simply an importer, who actually made the blades he imported. Well, we've answered that one for sure. It'll be in the book!

Richard
I look forward to newer information. Mowbray, in his eaglehead pommel book pens several paragraphs for Runkel as simply an importer and broker of the supply. Like Birmingham, unraveling all the blade production owners/shops on the continent then supplying the cutlers may answer a lot of questions.

Cheers

GC
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 07:11 PM   #10
carlitobrigante

Wow.......sensational pieces of steel. Amazing swords and I hadnt seen the type before, many thanks for posting.
carlitobrigante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Ian Knight

Superb Richard. The quillon looks slightly strange. Has it been altered?

Ian
Ian Knight is offline   Reply With Quote