Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2014, 05:37 AM   #1
Edmos1212

Default Rusted or Antique Gunong? Or both?

Hi guys, a friend of mine found this in his "junk" at a house, since he knows am into swords, he gladly passed this on to me. Now, am not sure if this is indeed junk like a rusted dagger or a treasure find of an antique gunong. Maybe you can help me.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Edmos1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 05:50 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Rusted, yes. Gunong, yes. Antique, I don't think so. With its pointed luks and the way the hilt terminates in a flat manor (I think that an end piece is missing) it looks to me to be post WWII. As I am not in any way an expert on these I am sure that someone a lot more knowledgeable on identifying dateing these will comment on this shortly.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 06:19 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I'm guessing 1960s or so.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Sajen

Agree with Robert and David, a rather recent gunong.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 03:05 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE COMENTS BUT STILL WOULD NOT CONSIDER IT JUNK BUT A GOOD PROJECT TO PRACTICE RESTORATION ON. TAKE IT APART, CLEAN THE BLADE AND ETCH, CLEAN UP THE FITTINGS AND REPLACE THE BONE POMEL CAP MAKE IT ROUNDED NOT FLAT. YOU WILL STILL HAVE A WW2 ERA GUNONG BUT A NICER LOOKING ONE AND WILL HAVE LEARNED SOME SKILLS WITHOUT RISKING DAMMAGE TO A OLDER MORE VALUABLE ITEM. IT IS ALSO A PLEASURE TO MAKE SOMETHING WHOLE AND NICE LOOKING AGAIN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE COMENTS BUT STILL WOULD NOT CONSIDER IT JUNK BUT A GOOD PROJECT TO PRACTICE RESTORATION ON. TAKE IT APART, CLEAN THE BLADE AND ETCH, CLEAN UP THE FITTINGS AND REPLACE THE BONE POMEL CAP MAKE IT ROUNDED NOT FLAT. YOU WILL STILL HAVE A WW2 ERA GUNONG BUT A NICER LOOKING ONE AND WILL HAVE LEARNED SOME SKILLS WITHOUT RISKING DAMMAGE TO A OLDER MORE VALUABLE ITEM. IT IS ALSO A PLEASURE TO MAKE SOMETHING WHOLE AND NICE LOOKING AGAIN.

Great suggestion Vandoo. I have always done what you have suggest here and did not even think to mention it to Edmoss. Thank you for bringing this up.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 05:17 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

That is a great idea Vandoo, though i would hesitate to call this a "WW2 era" gunong. I think it's just a bit newer than that in spite of the rust.
David is offline   Reply With Quote