Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st March 2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Bicol Bolo/Knife

Just picked this up off of epray. I don't have any information on the measurements other than what can be assumed by the one photo with the ruler in it. Unfortunately someone has put a coat of varnish on the wooden scabbard and I just hope that they stopped there. There is a good possibility that the water buffalo horn might be blond/albino but to be able to tell for sure I will have to wait until it arrives later this week. Any comments or information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Sajen

Hi Robert,

very nice catch! It is a dinahong-palay like you write from Bicol, here a very informative thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...8&page=1&pp=30
I have a sinampalok, a very similar bolo. I think the varnish on the scabbard is normal, my one has it as well. Age guess would be 1930-1945, WWII area. Barry show his dinahong-palay in this thread, maybe he can confirm the varnished scabbard by his example also.
Great addition to your collection!

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 31st March 2014 at 01:19 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 05:59 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

CONGRADULATIONS! A VERY NICE EXAMPLE
FOR SOME REASON WE COLLECTORS DON'T LIKE VARNISH ,SHELLAC OR PAINT ON OUR POINTY THINGS. THIS IS STRANGE AS IT IS USED TO SEAL AND PROTECT AND BRING OUT THE COLOR AND GRAIN OF THE WOOD AND IS A COMMON PRACTICE. IN THE PAST BLADES WERE OFTEN COATED WITH ONE OF THESE TO PREVENT RUST WHEN A SWORD WAS IN A COLLECTION AND NO LONGER TO BE USED. SOME GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALS LIKED TO USE COLORFUL PAINTS ON THEIR SCABBARDS AND SOMETIMES HANDLES AS THEY THOUGHT IT MADE THEM MORE BEAUTIFUL.
WITH ANTIQUE FURNITURE HAVING A GOOD OLD COMPLETE ORIGINAL FINISH INHANCES THE BEAUTY AND VALUE. OFTEN REMOVING THE FINISH OR REFINISHING A ITEM LOWERS ITS VALUE.
I PERSONALLY DON'T MIND THE FINNISH AS IT PROTECTS THE WOOD FROM DIRT AND MOISTURE AND HELPS PREVENT WOOD SPLITTING AND WEAR AND IS USUALLY ORIGINAL TO THE ITEM WHEN IT WAS MADE. THE VARNISH ON THE BLADE IS NOT, SO I PREFER TO REMOVE IT THOUGH IT OFTEN HELPS TELL THE TIME WHEN THE ITEM WAS COLLECTED.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
CONGRADULATIONS! A VERY NICE EXAMPLE
FOR SOME REASON WE COLLECTORS DON'T LIKE VARNISH ,SHELLAC OR PAINT ON OUR POINTY THINGS. THIS IS STRANGE AS IT IS USED TO SEAL AND PROTECT AND BRING OUT THE COLOR AND GRAIN OF THE WOOD AND IS A COMMON PRACTICE. IN THE PAST BLADES WERE OFTEN COATED WITH ONE OF THESE TO PREVENT RUST WHEN A SWORD WAS IN A COLLECTION AND NO LONGER TO BE USED. SOME GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALS LIKED TO USE COLORFUL PAINTS ON THEIR SCABBARDS AND SOMETIMES HANDLES AS THEY THOUGHT IT MADE THEM MORE BEAUTIFUL.
WITH ANTIQUE FURNITURE HAVING A GOOD OLD COMPLETE ORIGINAL FINISH INHANCES THE BEAUTY AND VALUE. OFTEN REMOVING THE FINISH OR REFINISHING A ITEM LOWERS ITS VALUE.
I PERSONALLY DON'T MIND THE FINNISH AS IT PROTECTS THE WOOD FROM DIRT AND MOISTURE AND HELPS PREVENT WOOD SPLITTING AND WEAR AND IS USUALLY ORIGINAL TO THE ITEM WHEN IT WAS MADE. THE VARNISH ON THE BLADE IS NOT, SO I PREFER TO REMOVE IT THOUGH IT OFTEN HELPS TELL THE TIME WHEN THE ITEM WAS COLLECTED.
Hello Barry,

is the scabbard from your dinahong-palay also covered with varnish?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 31st March 2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Detlef and Barry, Thank you both for the information and the link. Being able to put an exact name and the location of where an item was made is always very important in any collection. The fact that the varnish on the scabbard is most likely original is also very interesting as I have always assumed that it was done by a collector to help preserve the item from the elements At least now I will not have to worry about having to take a chance of doing any damage by trying to remove it after it arrives. I have seen many examples of weapons with painted scabbards and hilts as pointed out by Barry but always thought that this was done as a personal choice by the owner. If I was ever fortunate enough to acquire one done in this manner I would never remove the paint. Thank you both for your kind words and help with this piece.

Best,
Robert
Old 31st March 2014, 11:24 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

MY EXAMPLE DID HAVE VARNISH BUT DUE TO TIME AND WEAR IT HAS LOST ITS SHINE BUT THE WOOD STILL STAYS DARK. IF IT WAS SANDED OFF ENTIRELY DOWN TO THE NATURAL WOOD IT WOULD BE A LOT LIGHTER IN COLOR AND THE PORES OF THE WOOD MORE OPEN OR FILLED WITH SAWDUST. I SUSPECT SOME PLANT RESINS MAY HAVE BEEN USED BY PEOPLE IN MORE PRIMATIVE TIMES TO SEAL, PROTECT AND ENHANCE ITEMS FROM BASKETS, BOWLS AND MANY OTHER ITEMS. SO MODERN SEALERS, STAINS AND VARNISHES WILL NOT REALLY BE SOMETHING NEW.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Sajen

Thank you Barry, that confirms what I think, the scabbards get the varnish maybe by the manufacturer originally.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Well, it arrived today and I am very happy with what showed up. I have added a few new photos but the do not do justice to the wood at all. Here are the overall blade measurements.

Total length is 14-1/4 inches.
Blade length is 9-3/4 inches.
Blade width is 2 inches at its widest point.
Blase is slightly over 5/16 at the hilt.
Hilt is 4-1/2 inches

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Old 3rd April 2014, 12:11 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice work in brass and narra wood!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Thank you Jose. Do you (or anyone else) know what group it was that made these bolos and because of the engraving on the blade, how intricate the carving is on both hilt and scabbard were they used just for dress and personal protection or as an all purpose tool? I ask this because I just cannot see someone using something like this for every day chores (chopping wood trimming the weeds) even though it would not surprize me to find out that is exactly what they were used for.

Best,
Robert