Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th March 2014, 08:54 PM   #1
drac2k

Default 3 Philippine knives for comment

I just picked up these three that I believe to be Philippine in origin;what is most curious is the longest knife which probably was made from a file and has a date of "63," on it.I don't think it was for 1863, but I would have thought the knife was older that 1963.Any opinions.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 08:58 PM   #2
drac2k

more pictures
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Sajen

Nice and interesting and somewhat unusual knives you have there. The ones in up and down are from Luzon, the one in the middle is a Visayan knife.
I doubt that the "63" is a date, maybe just a maker mark.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 04:02 PM   #4
drac2k

Thanks for the information; I kind of thought the same.A interesting note on the blade from Luzon, in 1863 the Philippines experienced 11 days of devastating earthquakes;especially hard hit was Luzon.Could this "63," reference that ?
Old 29th March 2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
Thanks for the information; I kind of thought the same.A interesting note on the blade from Luzon, in 1863 the Philippines experienced 11 days of devastating earthquakes;especially hard hit was Luzon.Could this "63," reference that ?
Maybe, but I doubt that this knife is old like this. My guess would be that the both Luzon knives /daggers from 1910-1930, the Visayan dagger maybe a little bit later. Like said, I like all three and they surely worth to join a Philippine collection!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 05:50 PM   #6
carlos

Great knives !! Specially to me the third, Luzon piece, the type of blade like me !!
Goods adquisition to a collector !
Thanks
Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Drac2k, I am in agreement with Detlefs opinion on age and origin of these pieces. I also agree with Carlos, great knives. I can tell you that I would be quite happy to be able to add any of these pieces to my own collection. Just to be a little different I would like to add that my favorite is the first (top item) in your first photo. Very interesting blade style that I do not have an example of in my collection. The bottom dagger as Carlos stated is also a very nice piece. The rather unusual Visayan knife with the figurative hilt has some very interesting features like the blade being beveled on what looks like both sides. Can you post a photo of the end of the hilt on this piece as it looks in the photos that it might have a flat surface. Again very nice additions to your collection and if you get tired of looking at them please feel free to send them my way.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 02:00 AM   #8
drac2k

Thanks to all.Here are the additional pictures asked for; as you can see, you are correct in both the top of the head is flat and the knife is beveled on both sides.It has a fairly heavy blade.
Attached Images