Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th January 2010, 02:32 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Two Interesting Curved Kaskara Swords From the Sudan

Here are a couple or fairly recent acquistions that I thought were pretty unique just because they are outside the norm for Sudanese kaskaras.

The example on top is mounted with a curved European blade, just not sure from where, so any input would be most appreciated. It carries a cylindrical brass hilt pommel, as well as a unique brass guard. The scabbard is of classic form.

The second example is mounted with a wide Ethiopian blade that was likely made in Great Britain. The hilt is quite plain, classic and simple in design. The scabbard strikes me as more akin to Chadian work.

I believe the top example is a bit older than the bottom one.

Any input about the blades would be most appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 30th January 2010 at 06:59 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

Hello CharlesS,

The second blade is from Ethiopian gurade (saber), blade made in Europe on "Ethiopian" order (end 19/beg20th century; Menelik was among others in war with Sudan).
The first one (brass handle) is - I suppose - also from Europe, maybe hundred years older (?), in any case I saw this type of blade mount on several Arabic sabers in North African (Mediterranean) countries.

Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 06:39 PM   #3
CharlesS

Was hoping someone might have more info on the brass hilt??

Jim?...where are you???
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Was hoping someone might have more info on the brass hilt??

Jim?...where are you???
Hey Charles!
Sorry I was AWOL You know I cant resist kaskaras, and these are nice.
It has been a while, I'll see if I can find notes, but the crosshatch, brass hilt corresponds to a most unusual sword which I could only classify as an Ottoman hilt Sudanese shamshir. The pistol grip hilt also had the distinct kaskara langet, and the leather scabbard had the standard Sudanese flared tip.
The pommel style on yours is similar to others Ive seen, but again..the notes.

I recall some years ago trying to discover more on the use of brass in the Sudan on kaskaras, and it seems I was told there were superstitious associations, much as with other cultures. I have a kaskara of Mahdist period with the thuluth etched blade, traces of red on leather wrapped grip and the distinct Sudanese crossguard in brass.

I would think late 19th c. on these unusual crosshatch brass hilts, and very much ceremonially intended. I have yet to see another of these Ottoman style kaskaras!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Well this one was make for the Ethiopian military. It is not impossible that it was in use until the 1920-30s. Is it Wilkinson or German. I think this one is at earliest late 19th cent. Looks German to me.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Jeff D

Hi Charles,

Those are two very interesting Kaskaras. The first one does indeed have a European blade which dates by the sun / moon motifs to the late 18th, early 19th century. Almost assuredly from Solingen Germany.
The most interesting thing about them is the saber form. I watched the first one go on E-bay. The saber feature that attracted me to it was also the one that prevented me from bidding any higher on it. I thought I had seen them in saber form before, but, when the bidding was going on I couldn't locate the source. I think the second example you have came from the same seller? do you or anyone else know of any other saber Kaskaras? It might also help to locate the source for the unusual hilt.

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi Charles,
The blade on the brass hilt looks 18thC continental European as far as I can determine. With that in mind maybe it would be an idea to post that one on the European Forum for more info. Hope this is of some help.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote