Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Jean

Default Another antique Javanese hilt?

I recently acquired this wooden hilt together with a very old blade similar to those attributed to Banten or Blambangan and which I showed in another thread.
In relation with the horn hilt recently shown by Gustav and possibly dating from the 17th Century, I would like to get your opinions about this one:
It is 9 cm long and made from a quite light and clear color wood, and depicts a demon seated in Maharajalilasana/ Lalitasana position? It is holding a human arm in his left hand and according to Jensen it depicts a Siva Bhairava/ Raksasa eating corpses.
Jensen shows pictures of 3 similar hilts in Chapter 6 of his Krisdisk (one wooden piece and two from ivory) which are attributed to Blambangan (East Java) and dating from the 17th Century.
I have no clear clue for dating my hilt except that it has some patina and wear (the nose especially) and believe that it has age but not necessarily as old as the specimens shown by Jensen.
Your opinions will be appreciated.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 02:27 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

Hello Jean,

I do not know how old it may be but I have read that human figural handles were forbidden by Islam so may this be of the pre-IslamicJava?!

But why not Bali?

Anyhow, I am pretty sure you know much more than me, but I have posted my comment in the hopes I will learn more.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Hello Jean,

I do not know how old it may be but I have read that human figural handles were forbidden by Islam so may this be of the pre-IslamicJava?!

But why not Bali?

Anyhow, I am pretty sure you know much more than me, but I have posted my comment in the hopes I will learn more.
Hello Marius,
The Blambangan area stayed Hindu until the late 18th Century if I remember well, and figural handles depicting Hindu deities continued to be made in West Java (Cirebon & Banten) until the 20th Century.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 01:58 PM   #4
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Marius,
The Blambangan area stayed Hindu until the late 18th Century if I remember well, and figural handles depicting Hindu deities continued to be made in West Java (Cirebon & Banten) until the 20th Century.
Regards
You see! That's exactly why I posted my comment!

Thank you once more!

And greetings from... Bandung/Java!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote