Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 14th February 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Castel Sant' Angelo

I have been working on some research concerning the Castel Sant' Angelo, which is the Mausoleum of Hadrian which evolved into a fortified structure that is part of the network of the complex in the Vatican. I understand that this has become a museum, which has among its holdings a number of weapons associated with the conflicts during the unification of Italy in the 19th century.

I am hoping that someone out there may have information about this museum or perhaps had visited there, and more importantly, the names of someone among the curatorial staff that I might contact with questions.

Thanks very much everyone,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Valjhun

Hi Jim!

I was there 2 years ago and as far as I can remember, there are not much weapons (if any at all) at the Castel Sant'Angelo. The collection of weapons you are interested (Risorgimento Italiano, Garibaldi, Cavour ecc.) are located in the Vittoriano structure (or Altare della patria) near the Forum Romanum. Among others I remember the sword belonged to Garibaldi. Sorry hope that helps, but I can't help you with contacts.

Best regards,

Matej
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Matej,
Thank you for answering! It must have been great to see...my interest in it was rekindled when I saw the movie "Angels & Demons". The weapons and period you mention are exactly the area I am interested in , but Italy is very much inaccessible without language or individual contacts.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Victrix

I recently spent a few days in Rome, the Eternal city. One day I went to Castel Sant’Angelo which had a tumultuous but fascinating history which you can read about here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castel_Sant%27Angelo.

The place is well worth visiting and although the museum claims to have 6000 items of arms, disappointingly only a couple of dozen are displayed.

pic 3: reconstruction of 16thC gunsmith workshop in Bastion of San Giovanni
pic 4: reconstruction of 16thC guardroom. There is a trap door for enemies who had made it inside with two gun openings in a door opposite.
pic 9: breast plate for Knight of Malta
pic 10: landsknecht sword
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 03:51 PM   #5
Victrix

Some more pics.

pic 1: statue of St Michael the Archangel on top of the castle roof. You can read about him here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...atholic_Church

pic 2: ceiling relief of St Michael inside the pope’s living quarters in the castle
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 05:02 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Superb pictures, Victrix .
I was there in 2010; it was either my (then) limited camera or (possible ?) prohibition to take pictures, which produced an extremely poor work.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote