Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th January 2017, 07:57 PM   #1
Marcus

Default Help with a quaddara please

This quaddara has a 25 inch blade. The leather of the scabbard is new, but the silver collar at the scabbard throat appears original. There is a stylized lion and sunburst, consistent with the attribution to Persia.

My questions are:
Is the script under the lion Arabic or Persian?
What does it say?
Can anyone identify the maker’s marks on the blade?
Can anyone guess the age by the coins (or other features)?

Marcus
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

These Iranian coins can be researched for example at https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcurrency/3823226210 and http://www.anythinganywhere.com/comm...npics/iran.htm

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th January 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 09:50 PM   #3
TVV

Some of the coins may be Persian, but on the face of the hilt they are Russian. Identifying them does not really help determine the age of the piece conclusively: all you can get is a limit on how old the piece could be, i.e. made as of the date of the latest used coin or later.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Some of the coins may be Persian, but on the face of the hilt they are Russian. Identifying them does not really help determine the age of the piece conclusively: all you can get is a limit on how old the piece could be, i.e. made as of the date of the latest used coin or later.

TVV oops... you are right see https://www.google.com/search?q=OLD+...Um8ZI6CxXaM%3A
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Marcus

Default stamp

The mark appears to be the same as that on the right most sword in plate 206 (page 295) of Rivkin's book, although I did not see an explanation. The writing on the scabbard collar does appear to be Arabic but the only word my Iraqi friend could be sure of was "Allah".
Old 31st January 2017, 05:58 PM   #6
drac2k

The lion motif with the sword, with the sun in the background on the scabbard is definitely Persian.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
The lion motif with the sword, with the sun in the background on the scabbard is definitely Persian.
Yes, the scabbard is Persian and also half of the coins.
The blade can be from Caucasus (as the other coins suggest). The whole sword is a late Qajar short short as you wrote a qaddara.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Marcus

Default Coins

Here are pictures of coins like those used to dress the rivets. On the topside there are two 20 Kopek coins and one 15 kopek coin. Of course I do not know the dates of the coins on the sword but the basic design was used from about 1860 to 1917. On the back are Iranian 500 dinar coins. I think they are from the reign of Naser al-Din Shah Qajar, (September 1848 to May 1896). His successor was Mozaffar ad-Din Shah Qajar and I show one picture of a 2000 dinar coin from his reign to compare the Persian script with the 500 dinar coin (enlarged). The differences are rather subtle.
It took a while to find the right 500 dinar coin and the one shown was advertised on eBay as having “normal wear”. In fact, what I received was not a coin as much as it was a button! Someone had soldered a loop on the backside!
Attached Images