Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 8th May 2017, 09:10 PM   #1
Trond

Default Really pitted rapier in full length

I usually try find blades in fairly good condition, but I bought a really pitted rapier from Hermann Historika some years ago - just because it was so pitted:

The grip was fairly nice, with the exception of the deep grooves compliments of some really bad storage:

But what intrigued me, was that it seemed to be in absolutely full length. I already have 'a late Viking bayonet' in my collection (there's only about 2/3 of the length there).

Anyhow, it is now hanging in the pink-painted livingroom at my summer cottage, together a with very modest blades collection - a total of four. My wife finds our home to so cramped with swords and blades that she demands (almost) weapon-free breathing space here.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lee; 12th May 2017 at 11:38 PM.
Trond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 05:09 AM   #2
Gonzalo G

It looks to me like a german sword from the end of the 16th Century. The diamond or romboidal profile of the whole blade, the proportions and the form of the quillon makes me think so. Of course, I can be wrong, it is mostly a speculation and not a fact. If somebody knows better, please correct me.
There is a picture of a similar sword here:
(Picture uploaded in next post)
I expect it is not the same sword.

Regards

Last edited by fernando; 15th May 2017 at 11:49 AM.
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 11:51 AM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Gonzalo, hot links are not appropriate to post here, as per rules. You should save the pictures and upload them using forum attachments features.
Is this the sword you wish to show ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Gonzalo G

Yes, thank you.

Last edited by Gonzalo G; 14th May 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 08:59 AM   #5
Tordenskiold1721

The wire wrap on this relic looks somewhat new. With the severe rust damage to the hilt and blade. The wooden grip on such a damaged rapier is often in an condition were it no longer is able to support a firm seated wire wrap.

Good example of trying to make a earth find looking pitted rather than just rust damage. On the positive side, the hilt and blade still has its shape clearly visible.

If we take away the composite pommel that we can see has been acid treated to look rusty like the rest of the rust, I would place this as a foot soldiers rapier from the 30 year war. With a slight room for error as we don't know the length and weight.

Fernado's rapier is of the "Munich" town guard "type" and is about 20- 30 years earlier and has a solid blade intended for use from the horse.

Great example of Rust, composite, new parts and acid forgery all in one. Following remarks such as it has been in my family for centuries or my wife thinks I have to many, is company comments with composites and forgeries.

Last edited by Tordenskiold1721; 17th May 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote