Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2011, 02:28 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A Portuguese fashionable small sword

This is the second example of these swords i post here but, while the previous one had an atypical blade, more directed to fencing, this one is integrally an XVIII century fashionable Quitó (read keetaw), used by Gentlemen to walk around in a ‘show off’ attitude and stand waiting on the walk way, expecting the dame to show at the window, for a courting session.
According to the norms published in 1719 ( King Dom João V ), blades couldn’t have more than three palms length. Then these silver (and ivory)mounted swords, looking like toys, costing like jewels, were used in swagger manners, good to open the dress coats while walking and also signaling to ladies.
These blades were indeed too short for fencing; this one measures 64 cms, but some measured much less, so called (being) born Quitós. They were however rather pointy and able to cause reasonable damage. Such fragile weapons also have their history on the killing side, as it is registered.
We can see that two of the beads on this hilt chain are hollow and open. I am not sure if this is also the case but, there are example where tiny bells were assembled in the chain ends, to cause a little but audible jingle while walking … such was the vanity of that period elegant Gentlemen.
All silver mounts in this example show traces of having been gilded.
The scabbard leather is a (fine) replacement; the original was in the poorest condition.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 25th August 2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spell
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an extremely handsome sword Fernando, and truly has certain flair for the fashionable gentleman, yet could certainly be deadly as required. I would imagine that these would have been somewhat questionable in pitched combat or duelling, but certainly used in the heat of anger in dispute would touch thier mark.

Without really going into the references, this seems to me to be from around mid to third quarter 18th century as the perpendicular rise in the crossguard reminds me of the English spadroons of around 1780s. Naturally I cannot suggest a connection without research further but its simply the period I associate with the feature. The chain guard as far as I know was not typically seen on hunting, court or smallswords until around the middle of the 18th or slightly before. I would suspect someone might find an example, but in research looking for one a short time ago I could not locate one before mid 18th.

Nicely done as always!!!
Stay thirsty my friend!
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 02:30 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... I would imagine that these would have been somewhat questionable in pitched combat or duelling, but certainly used in the heat of anger in dispute would touch thier mark. ...

Spot on, Jim .
The article i have read on the quitó history in Portuguese social life relates precisely such kind of events.

Quote:
...The chain guard as far as I know was not typically seen on hunting, court or smallswords until around the middle of the 18th or slightly before. I would suspect someone might find an example, but in research looking for one a short time ago I could not locate one before mid 18th.
Spot on again,
While the quitó reportedly appeared in the first quarter XVIII century, when King Dom João prohibited the large swords, so called Toledanas (for one), i find in my micro library specimens similar to this one, dated second half XVIII century.

Quote:
... Stay thirsty my friend! ...
Thirstier than ever
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote