Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st December 2016, 03:19 PM   #1
F. de Luzon

Default Bitten by the Keris Bug

Hello! I purchased what I hope is a high quality keris as a souvenir during a recent visit to Kuala Lumpur. I have been searching for information about it online and so far, I’ve gathered that it is a Bugis style Keris Melayu manufactured in Terengganu. The hilt is the “anak ayam teleng” type. I was told at the time of purchase that the hilt and scabbard are made of rosewood but similar scabbards I’ve seen online are described as made of kemuning. Attached is a photograph of the keris and scabbard.

I cannot identify the pamor and I don’t know if this keris is truly high quality. Does the number of layers on the blade indicate much time and effort to manufacture? Any additional information shared will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards!

F. de Luzon
Attached Images

F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 03:46 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome to the forum. From what i can see you have purchased a decent keris, worthy of collection for sure. Keris can be found in many quality levels and i would not necessarily classify this as "high" quality, but it seems fairly well made. What determines a high quality keris goes a bit beyond just the number of layers of the pattern welding. I will leave it to other to speak to the origins and classifications of this particular keris since Bugis keris are a little outside my focus. Better and more detailed photographs would certainly help though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 12:32 PM   #3
F. de Luzon

Thank you for your insights, David! I really appreciate that you spared some time to comment. I am happy that I was able to purchase a decent keris. It was a poor choice of words on my part when I asked about it being "high quality." I think "decent" is really the more appropriate term.

I collect Moro krises and I didn't know much about the Keris Melayu when I went to Malaysia. I based my choice on similarities that I saw from samples at the Islamic Arts Museum in KL. This was the closest I could find to what were on display. I also liked it because I was told that this keris is at least 80 years old. The Moro krises in my collection are mostly antiques.

Your words are very reassuring and this keris will serve as a reminder of my pleasant visit to Malaysia. I am attaching a few more pictures. Thanks again and I hope to be able to contribute to the forums.
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2016, 01:06 PM   #4
kai

Smile

Hello, welcome to the forum!

It does look like a nice blade. I'd second David's request for more pics! Close-ups are really needed to evaluate a blade and also try to narrow down the type of wood utlized.

As already indicated, it would also be necessary to define "high quality" - the highest quality was usually reserved for royalty. Even then, the highest quality for one region/sultanate might not be valued exactly the same elsewhere (and vice versa)... (Same-o with different eras, so period may also be an issue to keep in mind.)

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 02:54 PM   #5
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello, welcome to the forum!

It does look like a nice blade. I'd second David's request for more pics! Close-ups are really needed to evaluate a blade and also try to narrow down the type of wood utlized.

As already indicated, it would also be necessary to define "high quality" - the highest quality was usually reserved for royalty. Even then, the highest quality for one region/sultanate might not be valued exactly the same elsewhere (and vice versa)... (Same-o with different eras, so period may also be an issue to keep in mind.)

Regards,
Kai
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm beginning to understand that keris culture is highly sophisticated. I was mistaken in my choice of words for I should have stated "decent" or "acceptable" rather than "high quality." Please pardon the continuing vagueness of the terms and I hope you understand what I mean.

My intention was to purchase a keris as a souvenir but I wanted one that was of better quality than the ordinary tourist keris. I recently started an antique Moro kris collection and I wanted a keris melayu that would fit in.

I saw a wide variety when I was searching but this was most similar to the ones I saw at the Islamic Arts Museum. I am happy, based on your comments, that this appears to be of an "acceptable" standard. Your words are very reassuring.

I've also looked at many keris online and I saw some very refined examples. The ones for royalty are probably (surely) of a much higher standard than the one I got.

I find this a very interesting topic. Especially how standards vary across time and space. There's so much to learn! Thank you for your insights. I am looking forward to learning more. I will post close ups soon.
Old 27th December 2016, 06:06 PM   #6
GIO

Definitely a nice piece. The scabbard looks very recent (normal for most keris) and the hilt is rather crudely made. But it is the blade that matters.
If it were mine I would only change the hilt. Impossible to attribute an age from a photo and very difficult on visual examination. Few experts can do that. (I don't give you the names as I would not forget somebody....)
Best wishes for a new keris-addicted.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 09:13 PM   #7
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
Definitely a nice piece. The scabbard looks very recent (normal for most keris) and the hilt is rather crudely made. But it is the blade that matters.
If it were mine I would only change the hilt. Impossible to attribute an age from a photo and very difficult on visual examination. Few experts can do that. (I don't give you the names as I would not forget somebody....)
Best wishes for a new keris-addicted.
I agree
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote