Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th February 2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Stan S.

Default Not a kukri...

Please take a look at this "chopper" I just received in the mail after winning it via eBay auction. Despite what it at first appears to be, it is not a kukri. Thsi si why when I saw it listed for a pathetically low price, I knew I had to have it! You will notice the lack of a typical notch, plus the hilt is all wrong - It is actually carved out of a single piece of wood and secured to a flat tang with 3 rivets exposing the tang on top and bottom. Also, the blade has a more pronounced "belly" than commonly encountered with kukris and features a false edge. Series of svastikas stamped into the blade identify this as a hindu weapon. There is also a small and faint "eye" closer to the tip, which reminds me of a decoration found on ram daos. Only one side of the blade is decorated. The weapon is massive and quite heavy, and comes with a later scabbard. When I saw pictures of the scabbard, I thought it was for sure home made by a previous owner. Upon receiving the item however, I am not so certain. It is made of an incredibly thick leather (thicker than what is found on heavy duty belts) and stitched using a heavy cord rather than a thread. The scabbard covers the knife to mid-grip, like a pech kabz scabbard would. However, it is lacking a wooden shell and has a belt loop on the back, which still has me thinking that it is quite new...

I need some help identifying the origins of this item. My guess would be Nepal, or either Coorg or Malabar. But if it is Nepalese, shy would its maker deviate from a traditional kukri form? After all, it is ALMOST a kukri
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The scabbard looks quite new and not in the Indian style of manufacture .

The knife does look like it has some age and has an intriguing, darker scalloped edged pattern on the blade .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
sirupate

I'm not sure those are swastikas, could be just simple decoration, and even if they are swastikas, they could just as easily be Buddhist.
Two things for sure, it isn't a kukri and it isn't Nepalese, perhaps some other people could shed light on the origin of the knife?
All the best Simon
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
The scabbard looks quite new and not in the Indian style of
I agree that the scabbard looks new. I am just buffled as towhy someone would use such a heavy leather for it it must be at least 5pm thick. But of ofcourse the knife itself is a much bigger mistery and I would love to know more about it
Old 26th February 2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Looks like a reforged European chefs knife probably by a local blacksmith from India or the surrounding area?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Atlantia

Hi Stan,

I think you were on the right track with thinking 'almost' a Kukri.
I think it's possibly of the 'Chin Knife' family. Have a look at these:

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-Kukri-Wannabe

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Battle-Khukuri

Jonathan (Spiral) has more knowledge on these than I, perhaps he will know for sure.

Best
Gene

P.S. Failing that it has similarities with the Thai knives.
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Stan S.

A chin knife? Well, it's a possibility and at least we are getting somewhere. Personally, I am inclined to believe that this is a small ram dao for sacrificing paultry, lambs, etc. I will clean clean it up in the next few weeks which will hopefully bring out the "eye" some more. So far my camera had failed to capture it with any clarity. Lets get some other opinions
Old 26th February 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
spiral

Nice example Stan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Jonathan (Spiral) has more knowledge on these than I, perhaps he will know for sure.
Best
Gene

Cheers Gene for your confidence, Luckily I know the answear although not truly my field!

so chaps heres what there not...

Thats not Thai. Not Hindu not Buddhist thats not a swastika there not Nepali there not Indian.

There Roman Cathlic from the Pacific ocean.

Its a Chamorro knife from Guam.

N2S an American kukri collector & forumite on IKRHS & Bladeforums has a few of them.

Heres some of his from his website. {sorry mods its a hotlink, havent got rights to steal & post here.} {Hes a great chap though I am sure he wont mind.}

Looks a good one to me....There many subtelties in varients though.

spiral

Last edited by spiral; 26th February 2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling!
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote