Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 4th August 2020, 01:24 PM   #31
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Everybody knows that Lucrecia suffered of hyposmia .
Uh-oh - Best get her tested for Covid-19, anosmia is a symptom as is not liking anise, or licorice candy.

p.s. - Never get an Ouzo hangover.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 04:16 PM   #32
Victrix

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It also repels sabre toothed tigers. Haven't seen a single one since I started using Ballistol.

In other words: (use google translate if you don't read Latin. )

“Quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum”
-Lucretius, 1st Century BC.

p.s.- Victrix, what are civilian and most old military rifles made of? Last time I owned one it was wood and steel.
As I mentioned I put the Ballistol on the steel and the walnut oil on the stock on guns with moving parts. I then wrap them up in waxed paper.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 04:50 PM   #33
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

So what do you say Vitrix ? Do you think it is not such a good idea to use Ballistol to remove (unstick) the wooden grip ? I assume that is the tang that has increased its volume due to rust and not the grip that has shrunk; its exterior has its original volume, under the wire wrapping ...
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 09:31 PM   #34
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
So what do you say Vitrix ? Do you think it is not such a good idea to use Ballistol to remove (unstick) the wooden grip ? I assume that is the tang that has increased its volume due to rust and not the grip that has shrunk; its exterior has its original volume, under the wire wrapping ...
Can’t advise you on this as no conservation expert. Personally I would just leave the grip where it is. If you really wanted to remove the grip and look at the tang I would start with a little bit of mineral oil. At least it will dry up some day. I don’t use Ballistol on wood so have no idea what effect it has. But it stays really oily on my guns.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2020, 06:20 AM   #35
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
I use Ballistol only on guns (with moving parts). I use mineral oil for swords, and when dry I apply Renaissance wax on top. I use walnut oil for wood (butt stocks on guns, wood hilts on swords, poles on polearms).
Agreed, Ballistol is great for lubricating the mechanical components of guns, and moreover is not harmful to wood (softening/staining). But for the surfaces that will be in contact with wood, or outside and exposed to handling, I prefer a good wax (like Renaissance). This, mainly because wood can absorb oils, and waxed surfaces are cleaner to hold. This, for antiques to display and other guns to shoot.

Thanks for the tip on walnut oil, will try it as you advise. Heretofore I have only used it for cooking (certain dishes from Turkey and Caucasus require it).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2020, 03:13 PM   #36
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
... Personally I would just leave the grip where it is...
Thank you. I will finally elect that as the wisest option. After all, it is not expectable that any mark appears in the tang spike, as none shows up outside in the ricasso behind the cup bowl. It was only a fantasy .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote