Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th January 2023, 01:11 PM   #1
milandro

Default A spear head for ID ( Asian? Indonesia? Philippine?)

I got this from a friend, he didn't know where it may come from, could be Indonesian as it was found in the NL where lots of Indonesian tombaks are ,

yet when I was searching this forum I found a few interesting hints from other threads, namely from @David R

As you may see, this Spear Head appears to have some faint " pamor" but is it?

length tip to tang 23cm tang 6cm diamond section

the tang has a square section ( beveled towards the end) which may suggest this is a Budiak?

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...donesian+spear

where he shows some spearhead with some similarities ( general shape and tang ) and asks whether this may from the Philippines

here he has a tombak which shows some common elements to mine.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...donesian+spear
Attached Images

Last edited by milandro; 19th January 2023 at 08:16 AM.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2023, 02:33 PM   #2
David R

I do rather like that piece you have posted here.
After trawling the internet for quite some time, I came to the conclusion that the "Screwdriver" shaped tang indicates a Philippine origin, but who knows where more precisely.
The shape of the sharp end is a product of function rather than ethnicity or origin and definitely a piercing form either for armour or deep penetration of a soft target.
Looking at various maps, it's a damn big area, lots of islands and many related though different cultures. It's going to be a matter of chance methinks if we ever find out more.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2023, 02:59 PM   #3
milandro

thanks @David R.

Out of curiosity I was researching this and indeed it seems that this particular tang is associated more often than not with the Philippines.

Your post which I mentioned above was the first to point me in that direction.

The Tombaks from an equally large area of " Indonesia" seem t have longer tang, with a " twist | ( or not), but this flat tip " screwdriver" , fairly short, tang is a fairly sure indication of being a Philippines origin.

Another indication may be indeed the metal, the fact that it appears to have some laminations but not " pamor" and that is very smooth also appears fairly often in these spears.

If I look at my only example of Moro Kris ( Maguindanao) the metal shows definitely similarities to this spear head.

Would we even know exactly where my example came from? I doubt it too. Thank you anyway for your experience

Last edited by milandro; 19th January 2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 14th July 2023, 02:11 PM   #4
milandro

I found someone in the NL with an incredibly similar spear. Can't publish the pic because it is for sale but I am asking the seller about the pest.