Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2022, 02:32 PM   #1
sirek

Default Cast bronze hilt

Hello everyone,
A Balinese hilt of copper over wood I have seen quite often (picture 1)
but now i have a hilt of cast bronze weight 400 gr/14,2OZ/0.888LB (seems very heavy to me for a hilt) the previous owner owned it for about 50 years. Is this a rarity?, or do you see this more often? I had never seen a hilt of solid bronze?
Attached Images

sirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2022, 07:19 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirek View Post
Hello everyone,
A Balinese hilt of copper over wood I have seen quite often (picture 1)
but now i have a hilt of cast bronze weight 400 gr/14,2OZ/0.888LB (seems very heavy to me for a hilt) the previous owner owned it for about 50 years. Is this a rarity?, or do you see this more often? I had never seen a hilt of solid bronze?
I can't say that i have seen one of these created in cast bronze before either. So i do suppose in that sense we could consider this a "rarity". The better question though might be "is it desirable"? For myself, with admittedly little experience with a hilt of this type, i would say probably not. The weight of the hilt alone might be enough of a discouragement for me. I would think that when we see this style of hilt created in lesser materials like this we are looking at hilts that were made to mimic more elaborate court examples of gold and silver. And this is not a particular good or finely detailed example of a bronze casting. It does appear to have some age, but i think it is more likely vintage rather than antique. I'm not really sure what market or strata of society such a hilt would originally have been created for.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2022, 04:54 PM   #3
GIO

The Etnology museum in Leiden has a keris with a similar hilt, but made of brass instead of bronze. The aspect is clearly that of a cast object, not that of an embossed metal sheet. Obviously this kind of hilts can be considered a rarity, because of the weight and consequent unbalance of the keris and the difficulty of melting the material. Enclosed please find a scanned photo of low quality because of the big size of the book.
Attached Images

GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2022, 05:03 PM   #4
GIO

Sorry for the upside-down image
Attached Images

Last edited by David; 13th December 2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12th December 2022, 05:10 PM   #5
GIO

Please apologize, I cannot fix the problem
Old 12th December 2022, 09:18 PM   #6
kai

Red face

There are genuine hilts cast from bronze/brass. I haven't seen any solid ones - only with fillers like clay or cutler's resin.

The one shown in the first posting apparently was never in use (obstructed pesi hole; freshly cut base after casting); it also exhibits casting flaws at the front which (in addition to its heavy weight) make a real use as hilt unlikely IMHO.

From the pic, the one from Leiden does not look like a high quality example either (again, IMHO).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2022, 09:22 PM   #7
kai

And Gio's pic from Leiden for better viewing...
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2022, 05:27 PM   #8
sirek

thanks for your comments,
the strange thing for me was that casting bronze is not easy and is quite expensive.
And a traditional hilt maker is not familiar with this, so I thought maybe it was made by one of the local statue makers?
sirek is offline   Reply With Quote