Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th December 2021, 04:21 PM   #1
Jack Fletcher

Default Unsure of Kasakara's age

Good Afternoon All

Firstly I best introduce myself as its my first post. I am a collector of 1880's period British Military items specifically relating to the Battle of Maiwand, Afghanistan 1880 and The Battle of Tofrek, Sudan 1885. For some reason I have been drawn into Sudanese weapons and items from that period more and more and starting to collect in this area.

I have read some fantastic papers on the subject on this group and hopefully can ask those knowledgeable in this area for their wisdom and thoughts.

This kaskara is the one I'm mainly concerned about its age after reading the articles. I have attached photos but the blade is 34inch long, pretty flexible and marked with the crescent moons on both sides.

If anyone can give me any pointers to what I should look for fin 19th Century Kaskaras that be great but I have a hunch this isn't one.

Look forward to your comments

Jack
Attached Images

Jack Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 07:50 PM   #2
TVV

Welcome to the forum Jack,

Edster is the forum member who has done extensive research on the subject, and you can find his threads with a simple search, as well as his papers here, under Africa:

http://vikingsword.com/ethsword/

He studied the manufacturing process of kaskaras in Kassala in the 1980s and therefore has a better perspective on dating these swords than pretty much anyone else here. I am sure that he will chime in when he sees the thread.

Looking at the pictures I agree with your assessment. The blade with its three fullers follows a popular pattern of trade blades manufactured in Europe and exported to Africa in the 19th century, but European made blades from that period tend to have straight and even fullers, while these are rougher, suggesting local blacksmith work. The crossguard also looks like it is a form, associated with the 20th century as a simplified version of earlier guards that were more complex to forge out of 6 different pieces. Taking all this into account, it becomes really hard to place this sword in the late 19th century.

That being said, I would not be totally disappointed with it, because it is a good representation of the form as used during the Mahdiyya. Kaskaras with old imported blades and high quality fittings are increasingly hard to find, and this can serve as a placeholder until you source one for your collection. If it is any consolation, it helps to keep in mind that the kaskara remained in use as a male attribute in the Sudan until modern times, so even a 20th century sword would still have been carried and used within the original cultural context, even if not as a primary weapon.

Sincerely,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2021, 09:00 PM   #3
Edster

Jack,

Welcome to the Forum and to the land of Kaskara fans. I can only add a little to what Teodor has said. The good part I can add is your sword was made by a smith named Awad Adam as indicated by his maker's mark, sort of like the number 40 or "Arbane" in Arabic. Adam worked in the Suq al Haddad or blacksmith's market/work shop in Kassala. According to my field notes he was said to be active when I was there in 1984 and made 3-4 blades/day. Just guessing, but he likely had a career of at least 10-15 years so I'd estimate your sword was made in 1970s at the earliest. Your sword looks well used and was certainly an item of daily dress and armament in a period of social unrest in Eastern Sudan following the construction of irrigated agricultural projects that displaced considerable populations.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 12:03 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Jack,

Welcome to the Forum. It's interesting that you are looking for weapons used in the Sudan in 1885. I recently purchased a kaskara at an Australian Auction that was brought back by a member of a New South Wales Contingent, which saw limited action in the Sudan in 1885 in support of other British forces. The discussion thread is here.

I am still waiting to receive the sword but will post better pictures when it arrives.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 02:33 PM   #5
Jack Fletcher

Thankyou so much for your replies and the information Teodor and Ed its massively appreciated as I definitely want to learn more about these fantastic swords and the only real source of information is this forum and the articles that Ed was kindly posted on his research. Its great that you've been able to identify the maker and even though its a 1980 sword rather than 1880 it has its own history and as said is a nice gap filler.
I do have a few other kaskaras to post up aswel as a couple of other sudanese items that I will post over the coming days/weeks.

Ian that kaskara you've bought is an absolute beauty. Love the ornate decorations and even more that its an NSW contingent bring back. I have strong links to the Berkshires as it was my home country regiment 7 ancestors who served with them and a distant relative who was killed at Maiwand with the 66th foot. Tofrek for me is a fascinating engagement in the fact it could have very easily been a slaughter like maiwand but was turned around by great officers, exceptional NCO's and the bravery of the men to stand their ground and not be routed like some of the Indian troops were.
My collection is mainly British but just something about sudanese weapons of the day I love.
Old 16th December 2021, 09:54 PM   #6
Edster

Default Other Beja Weapons

Jack,

As you know the Brits were attacked by Osman Digna's Hadendoah Beja at the Battle of Tofrek. Other than kaskara they likely used the knives shown in the attached link during the battle. The hooked type was used on foot and very effective against cavalry by cutting ankles and legs and/or reins and in general close combat.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13060

Take care,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 11:13 AM   #7
Jack Fletcher

Hi Ed

I havent fully explored the dagger side of sudanese weapons but definitely will be looking to get a few nice examples of Beja ones. Also love some of the triple daggers that I have seen examples of with croc skin scabbards. I've added another kaskara to the forum to be viewed.