Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th March 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Alan62

Default What kind of sword is this

It is African I think but is it considered a Tulwar ? It is about 30 inches long total

Thanks Again

Last edited by Alan62; 26th March 2006 at 10:20 PM.
Alan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Alan62

Having searched around a bit I found an old discussion regarding these from 2003.
I think that it is a Kaskara and that old discussion gave me concerns about listing it for sale(I am not trying to sell it here nor is this a plug for it)
I am just wondering has anyone experienced negativety due to animal rights or things of that nature due to collecting or selling weapons of this nature.
Thanks
Old 27th March 2006, 01:37 AM   #3
Mark

It is a kaskara, from the Sudan, but I do not know enough about them to say more than that.

About the crocodile skin, what you need to worry about is the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), and the national laws each country had passed to enforce it. Several species of crocodile are listed as endangered in the CITES appendices (including the Nile crododile, which is a good candidate as the source of this skin). That means there are heavy restrictions on import, export, sale, etc. My experience has been that possessing an item covered by CITES, and selling/transporting it within one particular country, is not a problem. It is when it moves across international boarders that the authorities become interested. Search the forum for "CITES", since it has been discussed a few times.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 02:34 AM   #4
Alan62

Thank You Mark, I will read up on it.

Here is the link to their site if anyone else wants to read up on it
http://www.cites.org/