Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th January 2005, 04:23 PM   #1
duke_nukem

Default Sword Identification ????? Please Help !!!!

Hi All,

I have no idea about swords but i have this It was passed down to me from my father, but i can get no more info about it, as he died 17 years ago... i can't get the answers i want now for it , so i hope u might help me.

We have an idea of what might it be or the approximate age of it.

This was found in the eastern meditteranean in the island of Cyprus.

lots of invaders passed from here so this could be a "souverir" left from their visits.....(invasions)

The sword measures 33 inches in total length(including grip)
the grip part is 4 to 4.5 inches
the width is about 2 inches

it is not a light sword..it is a heavy. i am 29 and i get tired when holding it.

i am attaching some photos of it.... In some you can see damage that i think occured in battle against other swords perhaps.

the condition is very good.... although some surface rust which i would like to clean ( How is it best to clean it ????) and some dust....from being stored away.

Please help me identify this sword.... i am not interested in the price but in the History and the origin of the sword...

Thanks,

Duke Nukem
Attached Images

duke_nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 01:06 AM   #2
tom hyle

This sword is double-edged? Are the rivets copper? An interesting piece; no anwers for you, though I'll put some thought on it. Presumeably there were wooden, bone, or horn "scales" (handles), which have rotted away, but which would have fitted under the two iron pieces that form the hand guard. Is the blade significantly thinner toward the tip than toward the handle? It reminds me of rennaissance/early modern Basel swords, as well as of ancient Latin layered hilts, but also of modern N African work......I think it's a commoner's sword (note the spacing, fitting, finishing of the rivets), but I don't know how old it is or anything.

Last edited by tom hyle; 5th January 2005 at 03:42 AM. Reason: adding
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 05:09 PM   #3
duke_nukem

Default More info on the mystery sword

Hi Tom,

I have some more info about this sword :

A.) Yes...it is double edged (cuts on both sides) still quite sharp as well.

B.) The handle rivets are copper (my wife rubbed the end of one with a small file) you can see that on the photo i attach. There were 3 total rivets to hold the handle...only two now left on it..3rd is lost. also a copper rivet which is flattened to hold the protective 'bar' (exscuse the lingo.. not a sword person )

C.) The blade is about the same thickness all the way from bottom to the tip.

D.) In the holes where the rivets go i think there is something that looks like lead to me, to hold the rivets in place..i dont know about metals.... i show this on the photo. maybe someone put this there after...dont know....

E.) I also draw a rough shape of a cross section of the sword..on one side is more roundy and on the other is flatish.

Anyways, hope this is helpfull ....

Thanks.

Duke Nukem

I hope these help a bit
Attached Images

duke_nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Rivkin

I'm sorry for saying something really lame, but to me it looks like a broadsword from really old time - XVI century, plus minus.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 03:59 AM   #5
tom hyle

The flat tang, the soldered copper rivets, and the overlaid bolster are all suggestive of traditional European knives; I find that the swords of the farmers and workers are often constructed after the style of a knife. Loose thoughts. No idea, really, as to age. It reminds me of a Mexican sword my brother has.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2005, 04:14 AM   #6
Rivkin

I'm really sorry for voicing my opinion - I really don't know anything about western swords, but I kind of like it.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote