Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th February 2007, 10:05 PM   #1
FenrisWolf

Default A basic Takouba with an odd point

This arrived yesterday; I picked it up because it was inexpensive and the blade was a little different from the average. I believe it to be of local production, a simple, flat-sided blade with a wide, shallow fuller running the full length on both sides. No maker's marks of any kind. I believe the blade must have been reshaped at some point in its life.

The fuller is heavily pitted but otherwise free of marks, while both edges display long, deep scratch marks from shaping. What's odd is that the blade shoulders down sharply for the last five inches, ending in the typical narrow, rounded point of the breed.

So, has anyone seen a similar profile on one of these, or have any suggestions as to why the smith would have chosen to shape the blade this way? It's the correct length, width, etc., for the scabbard, so I don't believe it was a case of re-pointing after a break.
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote