Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th March 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Interesting Luzon Dagger?

Just picked this up on eBay. Seems like an older piece but from what era?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200719989000...9#ht_720wt_922
Attached Images

Last edited by Lew; 5th March 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Ferguson

I know you've got to buy the knife, not the story, but Lucien G Berry served in the Philippines with the US Volunteers. It looks old enough to have been brought back by him. I watched it for several auctions but just couldn't pull the trigger. Nice one.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Just added pics The hilt looks like kamagong to me?
Old 7th March 2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Lew,
I'm glad you won the auction on this great looking dagger as it will make a great addition to your collection. Like Steve, I watched it for several auctions too but being financially eembarrassed at the present time could not bid. Whether or not the seller can back up his claim of this being brought back after the war by Lucien G Berry I believe that this dates to that time period "late nineteenth century/early twentieth century. I would also agree with you that the the hilt is made from kamagong. Again, my congratulations on a very nice addition to you collection.

Robert

P.S.
When you get tired of looking at it please feel free to send it my way.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Dimasalang

Nice pick up! I would tend to believe the story since the piece can be traced back to the estate along with other pieces of the period. Would be cool to actually trace Capt Lucien G. Berry locations while in the Philippines, might get a better idea of where this piece actually came from. If you can get which Volunteers he served with, you can also find out which battles they were involved in.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Here are a couple of links that might be of some interest. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lgberry.htm and http://www.royalpanji.net/sulu_sultanate_flags_-_6.html

Robert
Old 9th March 2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

The dagger arrived today. So I gave it a mild cleaning and it all looks good . It's nice and solid with a kamagong hilt and a twelve inch blade.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Lew, Glad to hear it has arrived safely. Now that it has been cleaned and inspected can we expect new and better pictures??? Did the seller supply any proof that it was owned by Berry? I would be really great if he could. Looking forward to the new pictures.

Robert
Old 10th March 2012, 01:52 AM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Will post pics tomorrow. All he supplied me with is that piece of paper

Will email him and see what other proof he may have
Old 10th March 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

I found this on the web today. Lucien G Berry was indeed stationed in Southern Luzon.
http://books.google.com/books?id=-5W...ppines&f=false
Old 10th March 2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Here is an updated pic after I cleaned up the blade And conditioned the scabbard.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lew; 11th March 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11th March 2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

Bump!

I replaced the blurry pic with one from my camera .
Old 12th March 2012, 06:41 AM   #13
Robert
EAAF Staff

It really cleaned up nice. I can't believe the scabbard looks that good now. Great job !!

Robert
Old 12th March 2012, 09:08 AM   #14
ThePepperSkull

Very nice piece!

I wasn't aware there were older pieces that used kamagong as hilt material. A bit of a revelation for me. Thanks for sharing, Lew!
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePepperSkull
Very nice piece!

I wasn't aware there were older pieces that used kamagong as hilt material. A bit of a revelation for me. Thanks for sharing, Lew!

I guess it was whatever the local bladesmith had on hand at that time. It probably came from a small village shop . The blade does seem less refined than the others of that period in time. I take it that Southern Luzon was more rural than the other parts of that area. I will research it and get back to guys
Old 12th March 2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Lew
(deceased)

This was what I was able to come up with that corresponds with Lucien C. Berry's service in Southern Luzon.

MIGUEL C. MALVAR
(1865-1911) Revolutionary General

Malvar returned to the country in June 1898, bringing with him about 2000 rifles that greatly helped his compatriots. Appointed commanding general of Southern Luzon, he organized the forces in Batangas, Mindoro, and Tayabas. Eventually, the Filipinos won their victory, prompting Aguinaldo to declare independence from Spanish colonialism on June 12, 1898. Unfortunately, this independence from colonial rule was short lived.
On February 4, 1899, the Philippine-American War broke out. Malvar responded to the new enemy with courage. He fought the American forces in Muntinglupa, San Pedro, Tunasan, Kalamba and Kabuyaw. Appointed division general and chief of the second zone of operations in Southern Luzon, General Malvar delegated his task with General Juan Cailles, his deputy. He fought with the forces of General Artemio Ricarte in defending several towns of Laguna.
Faced with a better-trained and better-armed enemy, the Filipinos turned into guerrilla warfare, which proved to be more effective. The American soldiers did not take this lightly. They inflicted stricter measures in stopping Malvar and other guerillas. Aimed at starving them, they took the civilians in military zones, and destroyed villages, crops and animals along with their more intense military campaign that eventually resulted to the capture of Aguinaldo in Palanan.

So it seems that this dagger could have been captured from one of these freedom fighters that fought against the American forces stationed in that area or it was a private purchase piece Berry just picked up?

Last edited by Lew; 12th March 2012 at 12:11 PM.