Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th May 2023, 12:54 AM   #1
wildwolberine

Default Hmong hook axe, Montgnard mak axe

A couple of interesting items. Top is what appears to be a Hmong hook axe. Similar to the axe Hazen Audel carries in Primal Survivor: Mighty Mekong (show also has footage of Hmong smith forging a hook axe). Differs in having a tang and bolster instead of forged socket. Haft is bamboo with rattan bands.

Bottom is Montagnard axe, steel blade with scrap metal fittings. Haft is bamboo with thickened root section. Still has wood peg holding blade in place.

Curious to know if anyone has experience with these, or could suggest region or tribal affiliation?

Last photo is from National Geographic, April 1968 “Viet Nam’s Montagnards”
Attached Images

wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2023, 10:08 AM   #2
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

Default Phkak, P'keak, Kokok, Mac !! chopper.

Interesting pieces for sure and the Hazen show was very good as are all of his shows and adventures.

The first one I could not help you with, but have seen them and they obviously do have a name, sadly I do not know it.
But, the 2nd type is a common use tool in Thailand and Cambodia as well as Vietnam and what were the Cham kingdom regions, there are many names for them including Mak which seems to be more of a western mistaken pronunciation of one of the names used for them in one of the many regions they are used.
As far as I know they are a Khmer tool come weapon that likely cross borders into Thailand after the wars with the Khmers and then into many regions where it was seen in many styles and forms, they come in many sizes and with many blade shapes, to many for me to know the names of but here below are some of the given names for them in Cambodia and parts of Thailand, thanks for showing, I showed a smaller Cambodian one only a while ago here, likely end of the 19thc early 20thc dated and could be an early tourist piece from the first tourists to visit the Angkor regions of Khmer Cambodia and the temples there.
see pics, it came with the old large Cambodian sword chopper in case when I bought it here in Uk.
There are likely other names for them, and one point it may be good to add is they are not used in Burma, so they seem to be from the original Khmer and Cham regions originally and can be seen on many ancient temple carvings today in those regions with armies of men marching with them over the shoulder to battle.
They are an interesting tool to, one that works very well in jungle environments and very easy to use to, very ingenious as are most Asian tools and weapons that often come from the tools used in the region, some of these get pretty fancy as others here will likely show if you ask them to, '' show us your Mak '' thanks for showing these, very interesting examples they are to. . snody.
Phkak, P'keak, Kokok, Mac
Attached Images

Last edited by Maj-Biffy Snodgrass; 27th May 2023 at 11:32 AM.
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2023, 10:24 AM   #3
Iain

One of the fancy ones. These are known as phkeak in Khmer.

Regarding the hooked variant, I'm sadly also not aware of the local term for them, but as they are widespread across the region and across many ethnic groups.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2023, 01:39 AM   #4
wildwolberine

Thumbs down Added another one

I picked up another “mak” axe from (probably) Vietnam. Likely a late 60’s piece. Similar to the other, but with less work done around the blade. Here it is, along with the first one. I gave both a gentle cleaning to remove the active rust.

I learned from Bush Channel’s YouTube these are known as “xa gac” in Vietnamese:

https://tmso.baotanglamdong.com.vn/b...an-toc/xa-gac/

The term may also refer to the more conventional looking two-handed chopper in the YouTube video.
Attached Images

wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote