Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th April 2023, 12:14 PM   #1
werecow

Default Aceh peudeueng

Since this came up in another thread and I don't want to hijack it, I thought I'd give this one its own post.

See pictures. 92ish cm overall (if you include the missing tip), with a 79cm blade. 34mm wide at the base. POB is between 12-13cm. It is surprisingly light for its width (does not feel tip heavy at all), and tapers gradually from about 7mm at the hilt to about 2mm at the end of the big fuller.

I've heard on occasion that these were mostly seen as ceremonial status symbols by the Acehnese population, but it definitely seems to be of fighting quality to me.

It's certainly got structure, but I haven't etched it as I have no real experience with that sort of thing and I quite like the way it looks as it is.

I'd be interested in any additional information, thoughts, or your own examples of the type. Does anyone know about how these connect to the Indian basket hilted swords (see picture for comparison; the ethnography museum here in Leiden has gotten them mixed up), or the type of blade featured on this Sudanese saber?

As an aside: when I bought this early during the pandemic, the guy who sold it to me was worried that it would get lost in the mail chaos back then, so he was nice enough to drive all the way from Amsterdam to my home to hand it to me personally. Sadly he has retired and his webstore has now closed (I was eyeing a mandau there but alas).

Perhaps my nicest blade in terms of geometry, and I really like the grip wiring too. I expect that the pommel cap is a replacement, and of course it's missing the padding, but the rest of it is lovely.
Attached Images

Last edited by werecow; 17th April 2023 at 12:33 PM.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2023, 08:57 PM   #2
Sajen

Very nice peudeueng, congrats! Sadly I can't share mine since I don't own one!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2023, 11:12 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I have one of these; it's a bit different; the fullering is simpler than your example Werecow. My example has a very nice pillow around the base of the hilt to protect the wielder's hand, it is red, darkened with age and the surface is quite beautiful richly embroidered with flowers etc. I don't think I have any pictures in my files and I can't take any until I get a replacement camera; I dropped mine on our deck while taking pictures of the Buddha I listed in Ethnographic Miscellania.

I purchased the same camera on ebay this morning but they are scarce on the ground being more than ten years old.
If I find a picture in my files I will put it up, otherwise it will have to wait until it is replaced.
That is my tale of woe for today.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2023, 11:54 PM   #4
werecow

Thanks Detlef and Rick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have one of these; it's a bit different; the fullering is simpler than your example Werecow. My example has a very nice pillow around the base of the hilt to protect the wielder's hand, it is red, darkened with age and the surface is quite beautiful richly embroidered with flowers etc.
Sorry to hear about your camera mishap! But looking forward to seeing your example once your new camera arrives. Yours sounds a lot like the one in the ethnography museum (although I think yours is fancier as I don't recall the museum's being embroidered). I stopped by there today hoping to take a picture for this thread, but it's apparently closed on Monday. I'm heading there next week with my neighbor, though, so I'll take some pictures then.
Old 18th April 2023, 03:13 PM   #5
asomotif

Nice peudeung with a laminanted blade.

Do you have a picture of the pommel cap ?

Here is another thread with some high quality blades.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=aceh+peudeung
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2023, 07:38 PM   #6
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif View Post
Nice peudeung with a laminanted blade.

Do you have a picture of the pommel cap ?
Sure, see attached. It is a bit too simple and smooth compared to the rest of the sword, hence my suspicion that it's not original, although it's clearly been on there for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asomotif View Post
Here is another thread with some high quality blades.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=aceh+peudeung
Very nice basket and pommel cap on that one, too!
Attached Images

Last edited by werecow; 18th April 2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 26th April 2023, 09:05 PM   #7
werecow

Here are some pictures from the (mislabeled) one in the Leiden ethnography museum (along with some other arms from India). Sorry about the dark pictures; the room is quite dark and they don't like it when you use the flash.
Attached Images

Old 26th April 2023, 10:26 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Red face Rick's Example

here are a couple of pictures from the replacement camera. It is defective and I will probably send it back; but it does take pictures after a fashion.
Sorry for the poor quality.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2023, 02:58 PM   #9
werecow

Very nice, Rick, thanks for adding it! Still better quality than my museum pictures.
Old 8th May 2023, 01:28 PM   #10
Athanase

Hello Werecow,
I have a a peudeung with a very similar blade :
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2023, 07:26 PM   #11
werecow

Very nice, I like those crisp lines! Are there any signs of laminations or pattern welding? And is that gold on the hilt or is that just a trick of the light?
Old 8th May 2023, 08:16 PM   #12
Athanase

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Very nice, I like those crisp lines! Are there any signs of laminations or pattern welding? And is that gold on the hilt or is that just a trick of the light?
Yes there are some visible laminations under the oxidation.
On the hilt isn't gold but residues of old product to be cleaned such as Mirror.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2023, 06:09 AM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanase View Post
Yes there are some visible laminations under the oxidation.
On the hilt isn't gold but residues of old product to be cleaned such as Mirror.
You can remove such residues with a small brass brush, at least I have good experiences with it!

Regards,
Detlef

BTW: Another nice peudeueng!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote