Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th March 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Taffjones

Default Dha for comment/discussion

Hi Guys,
Received this sword recently believe it to be a Dha. It measures 86cm in length and the blade is 14mm thick at the hilt end tapering down in thickness towards the rounded tip. The blade also increases in width from 28mm at the hilt end to 40mm at the tip. Unfortunately there is no scabbard and it looks like the top of the hilt top is missing.
There are two surprises for me with this sword. Firstly the balance and handling, it feels very much like a japanese wakizashi in the hand even though it has the appearance of a chopper and secondly the spatula type rounded tip, at first I thought it was a cut down but on closer examination I believe this is not the case.

Comments both positive and negative appreciated as always.

Taff
Attached Images

Taffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Iain

Nice to see a dha posted. Haven't seen one in a while here.

Looks to be a good example although the pommel cap is missing?

A similar sword on the Dha Index. http://dharesearch.bowditch.us/0037.htm

I'm sure others will be able to tell you much more.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Taffjones

Thanks for posting the link Iain, there is some good information on this site. It seems to match the description of a Shan Dha. Would any fellow forum member be able to help me find out.

What situation the Dha was designed to be used for and secondly,
what is the purpose of the spatula type tip.

Thanks
Darren
Old 13th March 2013, 10:16 PM   #4
David R

And from me a thank you for the link...that is a very interesting site. Hmmm I think I now want another Dha, I only have a Dha Hmyaung so far.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 08:00 AM   #5
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffjones
...It seems to match the description of a Shan Dha. Would any fellow forum member be able to help me find out.

What situation the Dha was designed to be used for and secondly,
what is the purpose of the spatula type tip.

Thanks
Darren

Hi Darren,

You might also enjoy reading this article, co-written (along with a couple forumites) by the same person who published the above-linked site (another forumite) ---> The Swords of Continental Southeast Asia ...as well as the accompanying catalog of examples.

Cheers,
Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 09:43 AM   #6
kronckew

mine has a razor sharp 'spatula'. against an un-armoured opponent, it doesn't have to be pointy. northern thai/burmese like these styles.

it puts a bit more weight forward & is a bit better for slashing cuts. see also our thread on rounded tip swords in general: LINKY
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 14th March 2013 at 10:11 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Taffjones

Just had a good look through the links supplied by kronckew and Chris very interesting.
Is this Dha found throughout Thailand/Burma or is it specific to a particular region etc.

What gets me is that when you make a sweeping or slashing motion with a weapon like this you to some extent telegraph your intentions in conducting this movement making it easier for your oponent to defend against your actions. Or even worse thrust through you.

Darren
Old 14th March 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
kronckew

people have been arguing cut vs. thrust for more years than we have left to do the same

i am reminded of jim bowie on the sandbar in 1827. stabbed thru the chest with a sword-cane, he killed the swordsman, gutting him with his bowie knife & slashed off another attacker's arm, ending the 1 armed man's attack. bowie was also shot a few times. he somehow survived that day. a thrust is most likely to kill in the long run, usually by infection, but less likely to incapacitate, many men have walked down a rapier/sword thrust thru them to inflict serious damage or death on the thruster. if you've had your arm or leg slashed off, you cannot thrust again effectively.

the romans won half the world by using a short but wide thrusting sword, one roman writer wrote that 3 inches of gladius thrust into the enemy usually killed them, the truth was more complex. the roman shield wall would open a small gap for each man to thrust their swords forward. they would then close the wall and push forward, knocking the just wounded to the ground. then the wall opened and did the same. over and over, a buzz saw. as they advanced the ranks behind would finish off the hobnail boot trampled wounded enemies, or fill in any gap left by fallen comrades, or on command would relieve them to allow them a rest rotation. they were also not above slashing where appropriate or using their shields as offensive weapons.

in any case, in a war, the object is not so much to kill an enemy as to wound them or intimidate, a dead man is beyond help. a wounded man takes 4-5 other men to care for and feed him while he recovers, thus running the enemy out of resources more rapidly. a slashed man generally looks horrific as well, intimidating others who don't want to look like that. a man with a simple thrust wound doesn't look particularly horrible.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote