Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2014, 10:36 PM   #1
DaveS

Default Moro kris with Jinn???

Here is a moro kris that i got off of ebay from rsword a few years ago. I've often thought could this be a blade that has had a jinn (genie) put into the it by a long lost ceremony mentioned by Cato that is lost to antiquity. The arrows would be magical talismans to keep in the power of the jinn locked into the blade, while the arrows on the gangya would direct that power up into the handle, thus into the warriors hand, giving him protection. Anyway, it's a good story. Laminated 23 inch blade, 27 inches overall. Arrows and asang look like there is a possibility that they could be swassa, but i'm not sure. Also looks like there could have been two plates, maybe silver?, on each side of blade. Can't really positively tell for sure. The handle wrap was coming off so i rewrapped and used black lacquer. Buttcap was missing so i made an ivory replacement. This kris has some of the most interesting kind of inlays that i've seen. Any ideas as to what they might mean..........Dave.
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:45 AM   #2
kai

Wonderful examples, Dave - please keep them coming!

Have a look at this thread for many kris with more less similar inlay:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14086

And here a kampilan with inlay:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14633

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 04:41 AM   #3
DaveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Wonderful examples, Dave - please keep them coming!

Have a look at this thread for many kris with more less similar inlay:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14086

And here a kampilan with inlay:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14633

Regards,
Kai
Kai: Very interesting pictures. The last kris in the series has the arrows in the same manner, pointing inward to the center of the blade, and then having the arrows on the ganjya point at the handle. These are the only two krises that i've ever seen with this type of inlay motif, and i think they are definitely talismanic............Dave.
Old 3rd May 2014, 07:30 AM   #4
VVV

Dave,

Yes, for sure the arrows are talismanic and probably indicate some kind of force in the blade.
Why don't you bring the kris to the nearest mosque on coming Friday and have it tried if any jinni is left?
Keep us posted...

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS
Kai: Very interesting pictures. The last kris in the series has the arrows in the same manner, pointing inward to the center of the blade, and then having the arrows on the ganjya point at the handle. These are the only two krises that i've ever seen with this type of inlay motif, and i think they are definitely talismanic............Dave.
are you referring to the robot kris? here's the link:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=robot+kris
as far as the jinn, have you ever tried placing it under your pillow? might be interesting to hear what kind of dreams you'll have, that if you believe in that kind of stuff.
here's another kris that has a somewhat similar motif. notice that all the "dots" aren't totally enclosed by the asterisks, but instead, it's corralled by a couple lines that ends into a naga okir towards the tip.
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 08:00 PM   #6
DaveS

Michael: Yes, they are definitely serve some type of talismanic function. I can just imagine the stir it would create, showing up at a mosque with a kris!!!!!!..........Dave. Spunjer: This seems to another variation on the same theme. I'm sure that as time goes on we will see even more of these kinds of inlays..........Dave.
Old 4th May 2014, 07:58 AM   #7
VVV

Dave, you leave the kris in your car and first talk to the raqi ("exorcist") about it. Then later you can bring it (wrapped) when he has confirmed his interest to read on it. Who knows, having a (confirmed) jinni residing in one's blade is perhaps a value bonus, like having a good provenance?

However, I once tested to bring the same two keris (a really old Javanese and a keris sajen) to three different exorcists (general new age, spiritualist/theosophical and ritual magic). All of them felt more "energies" in the sajen but they had different interpretations of what kind of energy that was residing in it.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote