Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th April 2020, 07:22 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Another Keris for sharing/comment

Thanks to everyone who posted comments/thoughts on the last Keris I posted. Given how most of us are in lockdown thought I would share another interesting example.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 07:23 PM   #2
RSWORD

A few more pictures.
Attached Images

Old 12th April 2020, 12:54 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well this looks like a Kocet-Kocetan hilt form from Bali. Is it ivory! I also like the blade pattern.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Jean

Interesting and beautiful kris indeed. From the pics, I am not fully sure that the hilt is from ivory? (colour and patina). The blade is old and the carved animal on the gandik (singa?) is odd. The warangka is in rare sampiran/ jamprahan/ bancihan style. It seems that the selut was replaced as the base of the hilt was apparently cut?
Regards

Last edited by Jean; 12th April 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 10:50 PM   #5
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Interesting and beautiful kris indeed. From the pics, I am not fully sure that the hilt is from ivory? (colour and patina). The blade is old and the carved animal on the gandik (singa?) is odd. The warangka is in rare sampiran/ jamprahan/ bancihan style. It seems that the selut was replaced as the base of the hilt was apparently cut?
Regards
Thank you for commenting Jean. Very helpful information. I'm not sure what the material of the handle is and agree the coloration is not typical. I have seen some marine ivories that get this orangish tint.

It doesn't look like the base of the handle has been cut. It looks fully formed in hand with no evidence of being cut.

What is odd about the carved animal? Just the form/type?
Old 13th April 2020, 11:41 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

I'd like to believe that the hilt is from a whale's tooth, superbly carved and with a touch of artificial patination. The overall shape is about right for a hilt from a large tooth, the material and surface finish looks right for whales tooth. I have several with similar characteristics that are definitely from whales teeth.

But what has been done in Bali with synthetics over the last 40-50 years causes me to a bit uncertain of what I'm looking at. I think this hilt might need a hot needle test, maybe inside the tang hole.

But apart from that, a nice old keris, if the hilt is not synthetic, a very nice old keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD

It doesn't look like the base of the handle has been cut. It looks fully formed in hand with no evidence of being cut.

What is odd about the carved animal? Just the form/type?
Normally the integrated selut is flush with the base of the hilt, see attached specimen. Also the selut looks to have a slightly different colour and patina as compared to the hilt itself.
The carved animal on the gandik looks odd because it has the body of a singa and the head of a naga or kalarau. It seems welded on the blade and not integral to it.
Regards
Attached Images

Last edited by Jean; 14th April 2020 at 10:08 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 10:47 PM   #8
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Well this looks like a Kocet-Kocetan hilt form from Bali. Is it ivory! I also like the blade pattern.
Hi Jose,

Thanks for commenting. Not sure what the handle material is made from.