Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 11th April 2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Review on Lombok keris

Hi

I would like to seek a third opinion. As a new beginner, I am trying to learn as much about keris etc. I have confirmed to acquire below item and seller and myself think it is about 150 years old.

However my friend advise that this keris is about 300 years old at least.I was shocked. He studied it based on the steel condition, pamor and age. These are only photo I have obtained.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I believe this form is a keris ligan, or keris pedang .

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=ligan

Personally, I couldn't speak to its age from pictures alone.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Sajen

What I can say is that the handle is very recent!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 03:25 AM   #4
kai

Unhappy

Hello Anthony,

This is a well-known but rather rare style/dapur which seems to be associated with the warrior caste (i. e. above-average status).

However, this blade is extremely crudely forged - it doesn't resemble any craftsmanship nor pamor I've seen from genuine antique keris Bali or Lombok: I rather doubt this is more than a few decades (or very possibly years) old!

I also seem to see several major cold-shuts which would most likely result in the blade being unfit for any real use even if the age+wear hypothesis were true.

Disclaimer: It is pretty tough to assess pieces from pics and, thus, I could be wrong. In this case, I've very little doubt though...

Try to compare any putative acquisition with published examples (books and online) or preferably in real (at musea or with fellow collectors); and be even more careful when you can only find scant and unreliable references! Are you possibly Dutch? (To hang out with the keris study group may be a good idea, too.) Anyway, take every info you get with several grains of salt!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 05:34 AM   #5
Anthony G.

Hi

Thanks all for the advices. Cheers
Old 13th April 2018, 03:23 AM   #6
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Anthony,

This is a well-known but rather rare style/dapur which seems to be associated with the warrior caste (i. e. above-average status).

However, this blade is extremely crudely forged - it doesn't resemble any craftsmanship nor pamor I've seen from genuine antique keris Bali or Lombok: I rather doubt this is more than a few decades (or very possibly years) old!

I also seem to see several major cold-shuts which would most likely result in the blade being unfit for any real use even if the age+wear hypothesis were true.

Disclaimer: It is pretty tough to assess pieces from pics and, thus, I could be wrong. In this case, I've very little doubt though...

Try to compare any putative acquisition with published examples (books and online) or preferably in real (at musea or with fellow collectors); and be even more careful when you can only find scant and unreliable references! Are you possibly Dutch? (To hang out with the keris study group may be a good idea, too.) Anyway, take every info you get with several grains of salt!

Regards,
Kai

Thank you all members for your advices.