Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2017, 04:56 PM   #1
S.Workman

Default Just a little something amusing

In my normal life, I am an importer and roaster of premium coffees. I regularly buy this truly wonderful Balinese coffee, with fruity notes of melon and citrus and a remarkably high caffeine content. It's shipped to me in these bags, and unless I'm mistaken the print is of a keris holder. At least that's what it seems to be.
Attached Images

S.Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 05:55 PM   #2
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Workman
In my normal life, I am an importer and roaster of premium coffees. I regularly buy this truly wonderful Balinese coffee, with fruity notes of melon and citrus and a remarkably high caffeine content. It's shipped to me in these bags, and unless I'm mistaken the print is of a keris holder. At least that's what it seems to be.
No a keris holder .... Maybe a guardian temple
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 07:23 PM   #3
S.Workman

Well, he's still pretty neat...
Old 25th July 2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Bjorn

You are right, it is pretty neat

Marco is correct in identifying the figure as a guardian temple. These are known as dwarapala (protector of the gate/door) or darmapala (protector of the darma). They are commonly found outside of Buddhist and Hindu temples in Asia. Of course the exact iconography can differ from place to place.

On the photos you can see dwarapala in Java, Bali and Thailand.

Of course, one could hypothesize that keris holders also have a protective function. I recall reading somewhere that - at least in Bali - they were placed near the door so that guests could deposit their keris there.
Attached Images

Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 11:49 PM   #5
S.Workman

Thanks, that's very interesting! What are they holding? It looks like a torch of some kind.
It's so nice to get these bags. There used to be so much great art on the green coffee bags, and I have collected some good ones over the years. More and more though, the industry is just going for plain bags with origin marks. Ultimately, they will be reinforced plastic bags with UPC codes on them.
Old 26th July 2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Bjorn

As far as I know, they're holding clubs.
I admit that the one on the coffee bag looks rather elaborate and might be using a degree of artistic licence in that the top of the club looks like a budding flower.
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote