Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd May 2020, 01:23 AM   #1
ralph196

Default African Spear Identification Help Please

I have inherited a group of African spears that I believe are from eastern Africa (Mozambique) and collected prior to WW I. One of the clubs may be from Ethiopia from a later date as I believe it was mixed into the collection.

Any information is greatly appreciated to understand where they are from and possibly a more accurate dating of the spears/clubs.
Attached Images

ralph196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:08 PM   #2
ralph196

A few more images
Attached Images

Old 24th May 2020, 01:47 PM   #3
RSWORD

You have made a very nice display of your clubs and Spears. There are definitely some African enthusiasts on this forum that I am sure will share some thoughts soon.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Hello Ralph and welcome to the Forum.
I donīt know, where are this spears and clubs from. What I can say as an "observer": The style of forging of the spearheads reminds me the dagger blades from Zambia and Zimbabwe region (which is bordering Modsambique), but I also have seen something similar in the "artefacts shops" in North Africa. The spears might be constructed to be used for hunting animals, which shouldnīt disapear in the water ? I would say the clubs are not from Ethiopia - none of those two. The one with the handle - I mean the style of handle is like from Zimbabwe (?). The only all-metal spars I have ever seen were from Tuareg area (with narrow spearhead)and also from the North Nigeria (with wide spearhead). I know I did not help you too much and I am also curious what others will write.
Best,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 06:21 PM   #5
Martin Lubojacky

Also the fastening with steel tape resembles south Zambia ...
But, frankly speaking, I have never seen spear attributed to Mozambique and so take my assumptions with a grain of salt. I you were told it was from Mozambique, it is very probalby from there. There are tribes (like Tsonga) using the same or similar style of weapons, I think.
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 05:25 AM   #6
ralph196

Thank you for replying. I have some things to look into now. I don't have a lot of concrete info on these spears. I have inherited them from my father back in the late 1990's who got them from his father. My understanding is his father worked in rubber plantations in the Mosambique area around 1900 or so. We have some very odd letters dated 1908 that I was told had some relationship to the spears although I could not make it out.

As you can see there is limited information and it may not be 100% accurate which is why I am trying to get information.

One thing I noticed is that I could not find any i.ages on the internet of spears with these particular barb patterns. Maybe I am not looking in the right place but they seem pretty unique and I thought that might help with identification.