Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd July 2018, 05:57 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Mexican Sword or Really A Philippine Sword ?

I recently purchased this sword that was advertised as Mexican but it struck me as Philippine by the construction and design. The phrase roughly translated "Lurban to the Expeditionary the Kamarines for Independence," also didn't make a lot of sense unless you think that "Kamarines," is misspelled for Camarines, which is in Luzon, the Philippines. That would give the phrase a sensible meaning.
Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

You have a rare piece there.

I think the "Lurban" might actually be "Lucban" as in Gral or General Lucban/Lukban. This looks to be made during the beginning of the Philippine-American War 1898-1901/02.

General Lucban/Lukban was a great Philippine (Tagalog) General of the Spanish-American War and the subsequent Philippine-American War. He was renowned for his intelligence and cunning in war, like many others.

A nice piece of history! Also in great condition, though I wonder if the scabbard was later made (better pictures would help determine). This piece is similar to one I have (with more historical info):

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=lukban

If ever you want to throw it in the trash, just let me know (I'll crawl back behind the garbage cans now ).

Last edited by Battara; 22nd July 2018 at 08:00 PM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 08:19 PM   #3
drac2k

Wow Battera, you nailed it; mine looks like your sword's twin brother; the lettering has traces of gold; I hope it is Lucban, even though it looks like Lurban to me.
Based on the similarity of the swords, I think it may be one of a group of a small batch of presentation swords issued to someone's immediate officers, etc., and I bet there are a few more of them out there.
The scabbard threw me off as well and it could be a redo, however, the leather has crazing and cracks, the stitching is not in a straight line(as if done by hand), and I think the brass has been highly polished and overcleaned.
That being said, I think I won't throw it out just yet.
Old 23rd July 2018, 03:33 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi drac:

I enlarged your image and it appears to read "Lucban." That area should clean up once you get it, and you can read it more clearly. Picture attached.

General Vicente Lukban was born in Labo, Camarines Norte which is in the Bicol region of southern Luzon. He was governor of Samar and led the military responses to U.S. aggression in Samar, mostly a series of guerilla actions. He was captured on April 27, 1902 and died in 1916.

Ian
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 23rd July 2018 at 03:46 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 02:23 PM   #5
drac2k

Thanks, Ian,
Actually, the blade is pretty clean, but we had to take the pictures inside because of a downpour; bad lighting and my inability to read Gothic script made me misread it.
I stand happy(very happy), to be corrected by you and Battera !!!
Old 24th July 2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh a correction. He was not Tagalog. My mistake.

However, here is information for you in pdf form.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf lukban and his camp.pdf (260.5 KB, 348 views)
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote