Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Montino Bourbon

Default Unknown Indonesian sword for comment; Sleeper!

Dear Friends; I picked this up in a pawnshop here in town. The scabbard was damaged, so I got it for a pretty good price.

The blade intrigued me because of its pamor, and because I believe that the markings on the edge are 'bulan', or 'moons', which supposedly are marks of a good blade.

Can anybody help me with identification?
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Conogre

That is an exquisite find!!!!
I'd almost think it was a rehilted Opi if it weren't for the inward curve near the ferule.
My guess is that it's a Sumatran klewang, but with a blade far older (possibly early to mid 19th century) than the hilt and scabbard and definitely a keeper by anyone's standards.
Congratulations on a wonderful addition to your collection.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:24 PM   #3
Montino Bourbon

Default Thank you so much!

Dear Conogre; thank you so much for your comment; I have been trying to find out more about this klewang for some time.

Would it help to publish better pics? I'm still learning to take good close-ups.

Would you say that the pamor near the hilt is batu lapak?

Again, thank you for your expertise.
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Montino Bourbon

Default possible kabeala?

Threr is a Sumba kabeala on ebay that has a blade of the same shape as this; item # 7303141351
Old 2nd March 2005, 11:13 PM   #5
Conogre

Actually, the Sumba kabeala appears to be different to my eye in that yours has a slight inward curve to the belly along the rear edge as it nears the hilt.
If you look in Von Zonneveld's "Traditional Weapons of the Indonesian Archipelago" you'll see a Elida from Flores with a much more similar blade, and on pages 135-139 there are several of the Timor group swords with figs. 573 and 575 listed as Tanimbar swords that have similar hilts as well.
While the extremely primitive heavily watered pamor would give a Japanese afficionado nightmares, I find it particularly attractive.
I also think that you're barking up the wrong tree looking for a particular "pamor" as in keris blades for rather than having a specific "magic enchantment" these tended to more along the lines of "cuts the head off very well" empowerment.
Here's an Opi from Weter Island (according to Stone, pg 476, fig. 602 ) with a pamor similar to yours that I was lucky enough to get from Artzi at "Oriental Arms" when he was having a particularly bad day, listed as "an old klewang".
I almost broke my keyboard firing off a purchase offer!! **grin** Mike
Attached Images

Old 3rd March 2005, 12:57 AM   #6
Montino Bourbon

Dear Conogre; As it happens, Artzi has a Sumatran klewang (under 'new', and also on hold) with exactly that inward curve near the ferule that you describe; but if you look at the blade of his and mine in comparison, his looks like it has no visible pamor at all.
Old 3rd March 2005, 03:50 AM   #7
Conogre

If you're referring to the one on the first page, the resemblance is only superficial...those are heavier near the hilt and have a rounded, as opposed to sharply angled blade end.
It's been my experience that the blades such as ours are very often older blades that were tribally forged under primitive village jungle conditions, with the "flawless" blades frequently newer and/or forged in or near cities and urban areas.
To me, part of the appeal is the tribal aspect working under conditions that most of us would find impossible.
Mike