Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th January 2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Helleri

Default Hoping someone can tell me what this is.

I bought this because I didn't know what it is. And now it's driving me nuts because I still don't know what it is.
Attached Images

Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 09:12 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ITS FROM CAMBODIA THESE HAVE HORN HANDLES SOME WITH VERY FLAMBOYANT CARVING AND OFTEN HAVE A HUMAN FIGURE ON ONE SIDE AND A TEMPLE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BLADE AND A OPENING IN THE SCABBARD.
YOURS IS A TYPICAL EXAMPLE OF THIS SORT OF DAGGER. I DON'T KNOW IF THESE ARE BASED ON A TRADITIONAL KNIFE USED IN THE AREA OR MADE FOR SALE AS SOUVENIRS BUT MOST ARE OF RECENT MANUFACTURE AND BROUGHT BACK AS SOUVENIRS. USE THE FORUM SEARCH FOR CAMBODIA AND SOME INFORMATION SHOULD BE FOUND.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 01:49 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Vandoo totally. I have seen a few of these.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 02:23 AM   #4
Helleri

That was quick and emphatic! You guys are really on it, Thanks! I used the forum search and didn't find anything quite like this. I also searched google images for "Cambodian Knife" and in the first 10 results there was a thumb nail from some expired ebay auction of one that is very similar to this. I wonder if this knife has a name? If any one knows that would be great. Because tourist blade or not, I really like this knife. And I think I want a few more of them. I have already found an auction on another very similar knife that I am watching. But I found that one by happenstance. I feel like, if the knife has a name, that may open up my selection to choose from a lot more, so I can get the designs I like the most and not just take what I can find.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote