Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th November 2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Martin Lubojacky

Default Qama - purposely bent grip ?

I was told the handle of the qama on the photo (62 cms, blade width at the handle 5.8 cms, comming to the point immediately from the grip, the horn grip was accurate work) was bent purposely to enhance the cutting characteristic of the weapon, long time ago. I have certain doubts about this, since the handle is damaged at the point of bent ... Nevertheless I tried to find sisimilar cases and I found the one, which is on the Picture from the book. Does anybody know about such adjustments of the qama´s handles, or is it everything just a speculation ?
Regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Kubur

It's just a speculation.
Do you think the guys who did these nice objects would bent the hilt like that? Plus I don't think that will change anything concerning the use of the weapon.
In fact it's the opposite, the tang will come out of the hilt and put the user in big trouble during a fight...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

Thanks Kubur, I was of this opinion, too.
Could you try to allocate such type of qama ?
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Oliver Pinchot

I've seen a number of daggers of this type (kindjal, qama, etc.) with the hilt offset in one plane or the other. It likely assisted in wearing the dagger flush to the body or in gripping. The jeweled example in the photo, however, just appears to be loose or bent over.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 09:08 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am reminded of the Caucasian 'skirted' shashkas which have their hilts deeply canted in this fashion. It has been some time so cannot recall exact classification on these, and it seems that it was suggested then, just as Martin has noted, that perhaps this might have some effect on force to cut.

While I remain unclear on those dynamics, Olivers suggestion on this character assisting in wearing or grip seems plausible. Totally agree on the green jeweled example, the hilt appears bent over as noted.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 10:47 PM   #6
ariel

I think that the hilt on the green one is perfectly straight, but the tang was inserted a bit crookedly. Look at the distance between the straight lines of the inscription and the base of the handle.

The original one sustained a bad blow at the base of the handle. That might have displaced the alignment. BTW, this one is very old, might be even 18 century ( see Miller's book of the Hermitage collection).

There were Caucasian kindjals with single-piece walrus handles bent toward the body. Some say it was made deliberately, to keep the handle closer to the body and prevent it from catching on something. I think that was just a natural curvature of the tusk.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote