Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th December 2005, 03:35 AM   #11
Federico

Pretty early on in my ebay career I noticed that no matter what auction I bid on, someone else would follow my handle and snipe me. It didnt matter what the piece was (hey for sentimental reasons I often bid on junk), if my handle appeared and there was time, Id be sniped. Now, pretty early on I had enough offers from other members not to snipe me, but then the collecting world is far bigger than just this forum, and while someone who knows me here may not bid against me, to a stranger I was just someone who seemed to find interesting stuff. So since then the only time I bid is in the last few seconds. Like Robert, I put stuff that interests me in my watched list, and bid if I remember and it has not risen above the price I want to pay. Keeps me from second guessing myself or getting into a bid war and bidding far more than I want. Out of courtesy, if I notice a forumite (and since we dont all know eachothers ebay handles this list is short) that I know personally, and like, I may not bid against him. However, I have noticed that many who mark their territory early, A. get outbid very fast and B. often never return to re-bid. So, if I am conscious of a handle, and they are the top bidder in the last 10 secs, sure Ill pass on the piece, but more often than not this is not the case. Furthermore, trying to inform everyone of every odd piece that gets my attention, just does not hold to be practical to me. Most of the stuff I like to bid on is not noticed by anyone else, and my eye is like a hungry man seeing a buffet, everything looks good. At least for me, Ive been sniped by enough forum members, early on, to view the gloves are off when it comes to ebay.

ps
Ill throw in this caveat, for those wondering why theve seen my handle on auctions more than a few seconds out. If the piece is not that interesting, and cheap I may throw in a low bid to see if I get lucky. It has rarely rarely worked. Anyways, waiting on the item ensures the price doesnt get overly jacked, as it seems like the more bidders on an auction the more that auction attracts attention. Ive had many auctions end where I was the only bidder on an obviously nice piece, but there was enough question where other bidders were to afraid to bid. Ive also had many auctions end exhorbatantly high because I was a bidder, and it drew out the wolves.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote