Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2009, 03:39 AM   #1
tombstone777

Default WWII Katana signature - can someone help identify please?

Hi again - another of my recent aquisitions, a supposed WWII Katana that was taken from a japanese officer during the war. The blade is in pretty good shape but I believe it to be machine made as I can't discern any hamon on it. It is signed on one side and has the numbers 232 painted in green on the other. The grip is in good but dirty condition and missing an end cap I suppose. All the other hardware is there but the scabbard is in pretty rough shape as it was covered in rayskin?

I took as good of a picture as I could of the signature and also created a negative image of it as well - parts may be easier to read that way.

Any help in identifying the signature would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

tombstone777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Maskell

The sword smith name is "MORIKUNI" above that is "(no) JU" meaning resident of. Above that is obviously a place name but what we westerners call grass writing and is difficult to read. Hope this is of some help.

Best,
Maskell
Jerry
Maskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
tombstone777

Thanks so much for helping on this. It's always so exciting to (in a way) have a weapon "speak" to you as it does when it's signed as these blades were. It's frustrating when I'm too ignorant to read the incriptions and I thank you again for your help!
Old 7th September 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
tombstone777

What are your thoughts on restoring this piece? Obviously the scabbard is in very bad shape, what do you think I do with it? Should I just leave it "as is" or try to find someone to put new ray skin on it? Or is that something that I can do myself? And where does one find ray skin anyway? Should the hgrip wrap be cleaned - and if so do you have any thoughts on how to do that?

Again, all help and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tim
Old 16th September 2009, 11:29 PM   #5
tombstone777

Thanks again Maskell in identifying part of the signature! I'm wondering if anyone else here can help with the "grass writing" that you spoke of? It would be nice to have any further help.

Also, I'm still wondering about trying to restore this weapon. I'm not sure if I'd like to keep it "as is" - or if I'd like to keep it at all. What are the thoughts of the members here on restoration (like getting the missing hilt pices and recovering the scabbard) vs. leaving it as it has aged?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Tim