Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2015, 03:48 AM   #1
russel

Default Weapon or Tool?

Hello all,

I bought this on a whim (and cheaply) recently. It is yet to arrive, so I only have the sellers images to share. I have had a good search of the Forum and the wider internet but still remain quite clueless as to the origin or purpose of this item. I hope someone here can be of help.

OAL 50cm.

Cheers - Russel
Attached Images

Last edited by russel; 25th October 2015 at 11:40 AM.
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 05:01 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Russel, When first looking at this I was thinking possibly a drum stick, but with the tack work I think if it were used for that the tacks would be falling out all the time. Maybe a scepter or some other badge of rank ? Whatever it is I am sure that someone here that has a lot more knowledge than I do about these will be able to identify it for you.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 10:20 AM   #3
colin henshaw

Looks African, probably Chokwe. Sticks like this were used as indicators of rank, part of costume etc by adult males.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2015, 01:05 AM   #4
russel

Thanks guys, your comments have led me down more informative lines of enquiry and yes, a Chokwe (or simililar) Status "Sceptre" seems the most likely identification.

The triangular carvings and the use of imported brass furniture tacks are very similar to others from this region/culture. Curiously most of the sceptres I have seen are figural or bulbous, has anyone seen one with a similar "block" shaped head?

Cheers - Russel

Last edited by russel; 29th October 2015 at 01:23 AM.
russel is offline   Reply With Quote