Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th September 2015, 06:57 PM   #1
Westvaal

Default African Spear?

Greetings,

A friend of mine gave me this spear a few years ago because his wife wouldn't let him have it in the house due to a new grandchild arriving. My friend received it from someone who found it cleaning out an old house. We have no other information.

I always thought it looked African. It is of 3 piece construction. Overall is is approximately 68" long. The spear head with metal socket is approx. 25". The head alone is approx. 17". The bottom metal part is approx.18".

Can anyone tell me anything about it. It appears to be marked 1902 on one side and 1002 (or also 1902) on the other. Both sides of the head are decorated with punch and cut marks. The decorations make me thing that it is a tourist item? Although it appears that it would be a very functional item.

Thanks,
LW
Attached Images

Westvaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 01:07 AM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello LW and welcome to the forum. As you are new here and still under moderation your posts will not automatically appear right after you have submitted them and can take a while to be cleared for posting. I have deleted your other as a double post.
I also think your spear is of African origin, but as these are out of my main field of interest I cannot really tell you anything about it. I am sure that someone with more knowledge on these will shortly be here to answer your questions. Again, welcome to the forum.

Best,
Robert

Last edited by Robert; 8th September 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 07:22 AM   #3
David R

To me they look like they are North African as in Tuareg or other tribe of the Sahel area. There is one here, http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=tuareg+spear and others can be found using the above search terms.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Nice spear and David is right but I think this form is used extensively in the northern areas of West Africa.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...frican+cavalry
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Westvaal

Thanks Gentlemen!
Westvaal is offline   Reply With Quote