Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2005, 04:55 AM   #1
BluErf

Wink Catalogue of my collection

Since I've spent so much time uploading pictures of my keris collection (and a bit of other stuff) , I thought I might as well do a bit of 'shameless advertising'... Pardon me...

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...bum.php&page=1

Some are 'average joe' kerises, some are interesting, and some, imho, are quite nice actually. Some are flashy, some have subtle beauty, and some just take time to grow a liking to. I thought it's an interesting cross-section of the world of keris.

Check back once in a while. I'll probably have new updates from time to time. Thank you.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
simatua

Default wow!

here are some good kerises online!

Saw the site before, but then my computer was to slow.
really....really nice !! keep it up !

Saw one of your kerises mentioned as lawe saukel (lawe satukel)
I thought for myself this was a lawe satukel
-attached a photo from my own collection-

greetings
Attached Images

simatua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 11:58 PM   #3
BluErf

Smile

Hi Simatua,

The pamor on you keris is very nicely executed. In fact, I was just musing about when I would be able to get a keris with pamor like that yesterday! What coincidence.

I've added pics of another Solonese keris to the album (pg 3).

Btw, you are most welcome to register at kampungnet. I believe you would be able to have your own album and share pictures of your collection with everyone! Our fellow forumnite, Alam Shah, can help you with the registration.
Old 9th December 2005, 01:12 AM   #4
nechesh

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing Kai Wee. You have some nice pieces there, especially when it comes to fine examples of various forms of dress. Some exquisite carving there!
I left a message on one of your ukirans that i am sure you will argue with.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 03:13 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I ENJOYED LOOKING THRU YOUR COLLECTION, A VERY PLESANT THING TO DO ON A COLD SNOWEY NIGHT. I ESPECIALLY LIKE YOUR MORO KRIS WITH THE FOSSIL ELEPHANT TOOTH POMEL AND THE KINGFISHER KERIS. THANKS FOR SHAREING.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 01:43 PM   #6
BluErf

Hey guys, thanks for your support!

And nechesh, yes, you certainly know me. I'd like to hear your opinion on what the hilt represents.

http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/modules...view_photo.php

I thought all the major keris hilt forms (maybe except for the jawa demam) are representations of deities and supernatural beings derived from animism, Buddhism, Hinduism and the Hindu epics (Ramayana, Mahabharata).

I have read that in many parts of Southeast Asia, the coming of Islam did not result in the outright abandonment of old beliefs, and fear/respect of old deities, spirits and supernatural beings. Thus, in order not to breach the tenets of Islam, and yet not offend/discard the old deities and spirits, some carvers found ways to hide features of the original image in vegetal motifs. If you look carefully at the hilt, you can actually see 2 eyes (2 'c's beneath the crown), a nose (the 'double-hooked' oblong shape), and 2 fangs (2 'c's flanking the lower ends of the nose).

Also, if you look at the other pictures of this hilt, you can see the 'ear-covers'* on the side of the head. This 'ear-cover' goes all the way down from the side of the head to the shoulder. This part of the headdress/crown is commonly worn by the 'literal' rashaksa hilts.

So my argument would be that it is a rashaksa, and it evolved from the 'literal' rashaksa forms under the influence of Islam, which forbids the depiction of idols.

Actually, at this point, I want to pose a question to all forumnites reading this -- we always refer to these sort of hilts as representations of rashaksas, but do any these sort of hilts represent other types of figures other than rashaksas?

* - sorry, I do not know the term for this part of the headdress, but you can see the pierced through part on both sides of the neck.