Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2008, 04:58 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Smile WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW? PROOF/CONTROL MARKS

I HAVE BEEN APPROACHED BY JIM TO START A THREAD ABOUT PROOF/CONTROL MARKS FOUND ON GUNS AND OTHER WEAPONS. I HAVE A REASONABLY EXTENSIVE LIBRARY, AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO TRY TO IDENTIFY ANY MARKS WHICH MEMBERS HAVE FOUND ON OLD WEAPONS. PLEASE POST YOUR REQUESTS ON THE FORUM AND I WILL TRY TO PROVIDE ANSWERS IF I CAN. BE PATIENT AS RESEARCH CAN TAKE TIME!
MEANWHILE TO GET THE BALL ROLLING I HAVE POSTED HERE THE CITY CONTROL MARKS FROM SUHL AND ALSO EARLY SWEDISH MARKS.
INFORMATION SOURCE "ONE HUNDRED GREAT GUNS" BY MERRILL LINDSAY.
Attached Images

Last edited by kahnjar1; 1st November 2008 at 06:41 AM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Stu , thank you so much for getting this thread started, and for beginning with such a unique subject. In discussing firearms, it seems the focus is usually on British, then French, followed by Spanish then occasionally Portuguese, at least in my perception as an observer. Obviously German guns come in as well, but seldom those from Sweden and North Europe it seems.
I'm sure this order will be challenged, but basically what I am saying is that Swedish guns dont seem to turn up too often.

I very much look forward to this thread developing, and as I have mentioned before, it is great to see responses on our new forum with its scope including and encouraging antique firearms discussion. I hope this thread will present a standing resource for those researching these firearms to find information on the markings which hold valuable clues and detail.

It is interesting to find that Sweden had such an important firearms industry with Suhl, and its comparison to Solingen for sword blades. If I understand correctly, the sword blades used in Sweden were typically Solingen made.

I am hoping someone out there might have a Suhl made weapon to post..it would be great seeing actual examples as we discuss these markings.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 02:53 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Thumbs up A FEW MORE OBSCURE MARKS TO LOOK FOR!!

Thanks Jim for the comments. Just to make things more interesting here are a few more obscure marks from the same source as previous.
I also would be very interested in seeing an actual weapon with ANY of these marks posted here.
Have fun Guys.
Attached Images

Old 6th November 2008, 12:35 AM   #4
celtan

Hi Stu,
What do you know about this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I HAVE BEEN APPROACHED BY JIM TO START A THREAD ABOUT PROOF/CONTROL MARKS FOUND ON GUNS AND OTHER WEAPONS. I HAVE A REASONABLY EXTENSIVE LIBRARY, AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO TRY TO IDENTIFY ANY MARKS WHICH MEMBERS HAVE FOUND ON OLD WEAPONS. PLEASE POST YOUR REQUESTS ON THE FORUM AND I WILL TRY TO PROVIDE ANSWERS IF I CAN. BE PATIENT AS RESEARCH CAN TAKE TIME!
MEANWHILE TO GET THE BALL ROLLING I HAVE POSTED HERE THE CITY CONTROL MARKS FROM SUHL AND ALSO EARLY SWEDISH MARKS.
INFORMATION SOURCE "ONE HUNDRED GREAT GUNS" BY MERRILL LINDSAY.
Attached Images

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 02:25 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Looks to be a proof mark of a blade maker. Is this on a sword or a gun? A clearer pic would help showing the total stamping and surrounding decoration. Also any other information of the item.
Regards Stu
Old 6th November 2008, 08:45 AM   #6
celtan

Ooops, my apologies. It's a 19th C. blade's ricasso mark. I'm having troubles taking good macro pictures of objects so small. I'll try to take another one.
Best

Manuel
Old 6th November 2008, 05:11 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
Ooops, my apologies. It's a 19th C. blade's ricasso mark. I'm having troubles taking good macro pictures of objects so small. I'll try to take another one.
Best

Manuel
Hi Manuel,
What does the WHOLE item look like as that COULD probably give some clue as to origins. What sort of sword is it??
Regards Stuart
Old 6th November 2008, 06:10 PM   #8
celtan

Regular 19th sword, see another pis of hilt...
Attached Images