Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2012, 12:06 PM   #1
ariel

Default Khyber and Choora with Bukharan (?) twists

Both weapons are traditionally attributed to Afghanistan, mainly to the Khyber Pass area.
But here are 2 with decorative twists.
The Choora has a ribbon of turquoise stones in a typical Bukharan style. Never saw anything like that before. Looks 100% original.
Khyber has fittings made of very thick silver, the finial is short unlike the usual Afghani long and slender, but remenescent of Uzbeki style, and the chape is decorated with apple blossoms,- also favourite Bukharan motive.
Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 4th February 2012, 01:19 PM   #2
AJ1356

Eventhough Seylaawa's are attributed to the Khyber pass, it does not mean they are all made there. I find the source of confussion the inaccurate names that were given to many ethnographic weapons. That being said, the background of the non-pashtu speaking people of what is today Afghanistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan are pretty close. Plus Bukhara and Samarqand are actually Tajik cities not Uzbek(which by twist of faith are located in todays Uzbekistan). Therefore the motives on art work are pretty close to each other since there was trade, and an artisan would mostlikely copy styles of different regions to make his handywork look better. Plus there were lots of immegrants from Bukhara and Samarqand in Afghanistan whose handywork would resemble the styles of thier homelands. Turqouise is a pretty common stone and is not exclusively used by a certain ethnicity. Choora is another term that no-one uses in Afghanistan, we simply know them as Kard (knife). Anyways, They are both nice peices and I believe were made by more skilled smiths of Kabul or other bigger cities.

Last edited by AJ1356; 4th February 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 5th February 2012, 05:25 AM   #3
fspic

An associate who collects these things says the long bladed version of the kard in the illustration is a choora. Or at least in America and other English speaking places. Mine has a blade length of 18" and a larger grip.
Old 5th February 2012, 06:24 AM   #4
ariel

Which one did he refer to?
Old 5th February 2012, 08:49 AM   #5
ariel

AJ1356:
"Plus Bukhara and Samarqand are actually Tajik cities not Uzbek(which by twist of faith are located in todays Uzbekistan)."

At the time these two weapons were made, there were neither Tajikistan, nor Uzbekistan: just a medley of khanates. Tajiks are Persian-speaking, and Uzbeks speak Turkic dialect. Tajiks originally were land-settled, while Uzbeks trace themselves to the nomadic descendants of Gengiz Khan. Tajiks usually view themselves as belonging to a "civilized" race, and despise "barbaric" Uzbek intruders ( even though those lived there since 6th or 7th century and many likely belonged to the same ethic group originally). Their food is virtually identical, but with some twists: Uzbeks, for example, have dishes from horse meat and use milk, while Tajiks don't ( both staples likely reflecting nomadic past of the Uzbeks). In both places, Sunni Islam is predominant, however.

In the former Soviet Union one was taking his life in his own hands by mistakenly referring to a Tajik as Uzbek.

A somewhat similar animosity was encountered in former Yugoslavia, between, say, Serbs and Croats or Bosnians. The apparent silliness of that approach finally culminated in tragic outcomes of wars and mass murders during WWII and quite recently.
Old 5th February 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
AJ1356

Ariel, when I said Samarqand and Bukhara are Tajik cities it did not mean they are or were part of todays Tajikistan, it meant that when these 2 items were made and somewhat to this day, those 2 cities were predominantly populated by Tajiks. Actually they were populated by Farsi speakers well before the Mongol invation.
Old 5th February 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
fspic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Which one did he refer to?
He referred to the shorter knife in your illustration. The longer one is as we call it here, is a Khyber knife/sword. The short one does have a much longer version which is called a choora. I will try to get a pic of mine and send it to you directly. I also have a khyber "sword" which is rather older and which this party said would have been still longer had not the tip been presumably broken off and blended in the usual upsweep. This one has a metal bird's head grip and koftgari scratching visible. He also said it was likely gold koftgari for that time period and blade and handle type. This latter blade would have been over 30" long.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:59 AM   #8
ariel

I said from the beginning that the "shorter one" was choora. It is of a reasonably normal size: 17" in the scabbard.
Wold love to see your example.
Closed Thread