Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2023, 05:26 PM   #1
SwordLover79

Default Sword for ID and comment

Gentlemen: here is the last sword of the group that I traded for several weeks ago that included a couple of Scottish Baskethllt swords. The double fullered slightly curved blade is 29.5 inches in length and is 1 1/4 inches wide. No make marks other than an eyelash? on one side of the blade. 5 1/2 inch X 5 1/2 inch hilt no counting the recurved quillons. 3 3/4 inch wire wrapped hilt with 2 turkheads. Pierced hand guard. Comfortable thumb ring. I'm thinking mid/late 17th Century German or Dutch? Cavalry?
Attached Images

SwordLover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2023, 07:04 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well, once again, this 'trade' IMO is almost 'historic'! I cannot believe the swords (basket hilts) you acquired along with this....a historic sword known as a 'dusagge', a typically North European sabre/hanger in use 16th into 17th c.

What is unique on this one, the hilt of course has strong resemblance to the Scottish basket hilt, note the shield and heart shaped piercings. These have been classified by Victorian antiquarians as 'Sinclair sabers' for an obscure 'battle' (actually a massacre) of Scottish mercenary forces who were headed for Sweden during the Kalmar War (1611-1613) between Denmark/Norway vs. Sweden.

While King James VI of Scotland was actually for Norway/Denmark and the Scots, well known for their proclivity as mercenaries, had been approached by King Karl IX of Sweden for 1500 men to help. He approached Andrew Ramsay, and George Sinclair, who was nephew of Earl of Caithness and key figure of the clan Sinclair.

When King James discovered this, of course he forbade any further support etc and in fact sought the arrest of Ramsay.

On 26 August 1612, in the pass of Kringen in Norway, the force of Scottish mercenaries were literally slaughtered by Norwegian forces, who were apparently enraged by previous Scottish groups were marauded their communities making the trek through these regions.

It seems the term 'Sinclair saber' became a kind of commemorative honorific in honor of George Sinclair, who was killed in this event in Norway, because of his prominent standing in his clan, Ramsay survived.

Because of the similarity of these hilts, it has often been suggested that these were in fact the Genesis of the British basket hilt, however that specific of course cannot be held as the single influence or origin.

The dentated arc marking on the blade is the ubiquitous 'sickle mark' which is generally held to have Genoan origins, whether as a guild mark, or general quality or talismanic device is unclear. However this mark became widely used later in Solingen as well as some Styrian cities, often coupled with other marks, wording and devices.
While these 'dusagges' were widely used in Northern Europe, they are also highly associated with Southern Germany.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 30th November 2023 at 07:20 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2023, 07:35 AM   #3
AHorsa

Congrats to that beautiful Dussägge! I am dreaming of owning such a sword one day. I would say it is South German, Styrian or Swiss. But as Jim mentioned, they were also famous in Northern Europe. My observation from auction descriptions etc is, that those with a rectangular pommel and the style like yours are mostly attributed to the above mentioned southern region, while those attributed to northern countries are a bit different in style. E.g.: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22245
AHorsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2023, 08:42 AM   #4
Triarii

That's a great sword in very good condition. I've been looking into them for a while to get a repro made (by a Czech) for a 1620s event on the continent next year, and excluding the heart and having a rounder pommel, its pretty much the same style.
Triarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2023, 12:04 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ahorsa, thank you for the note on the squared pommel, and its connection to the southern Germany regions. That helps define some of the regional variation in these.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote