Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th March 2022, 04:44 PM   #1
Jack Fletcher

Default Sudanese Mahdist Mace and daggers

Thought would share with you all one of my latest editions to my Mahdist period collection.
Managed to get this and a few other items including an original Jibba from a private seller/collector.

The mace as you can see is in the shape of a bulls head. It has acid etched script/patterning on it.
Nile monitor lizard skin on the handle and the sheath for the 2 daggers that also have monitor lizard skin on the handles and acid etched blades.

I have read an article about persian influences in Mahdist Sudan and also seen an almost identical example of this mace in ISLAMIC AND NATIVE WEAPONS OF COLONIAL AFRICA 1800 - 1960 by Anthony C. Tirri but thats the only other example I've seen like this one.

All comments welcome plus have attached a photo of the Jibba and can add more if people are interested.
Attached Images

Jack Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 08:08 PM   #2
Edster

Jack,

Nice museum quality jibba. The design and detailed motifs are similar to those in several collections shown on the web suggest the best ones were made in a workshop of experts in Omdurman during the Khalifa's era. The garb of the followers of the Mahdi along with the colors of the patches are full of Sufi and Mahdist related symbolism. The two web pages linked below provide a good background that I need not summarize.

https://www.travel-culture.com/kashf...d-frocks.shtml

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Jibba

I can't comment on the bull mace beyond it's high material quality although it is shown in a Google search.

Best,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2022, 08:26 PM   #3
Jack Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster View Post
Jack,

Nice museum quality jibba. The design and detailed motifs are similar to those in several collections shown on the web suggest the best ones were made in a workshop of experts in Omdurman during the Khalifa's era. The garb of the followers of the Mahdi along with the colors of the patches are full of Sufi and Mahdist related symbolism. The two web pages linked below provide a good background that I need not summarize.

https://www.travel-culture.com/kashf...d-frocks.shtml

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Jibba

I can't comment on the bull mace beyond it's high material quality although it is shown in a Google search.

Best,
Ed
Thankyou Ed for your comment and thought you would Enjoy the Jibba. I will definitely have a look at the article and have read the Wikipedia article which was great. It mentioned a type of fabric called shahiya which is Egyptian blue and white stripped which potentially could be what was used for the large patches on this example.

I believe as you say that is was one of the mass produced examples made in Omdurman during the Khalifa's reign. Ive added a few extra closer up photos of the fabric, ect

Yeh the Mace came from Jonathan Barrett whos got several items in articles and right ups. Also like how the script is a different style to the majority of sudanese thuluth that ive seen. The collection is slowly growing though.
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2022, 12:43 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Folks, nice fabrics but the textiles need to be discussed separately in the Ethnographic Miscellania section. Please leave the weapons discussion only in the Ethno section.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 01:53 PM   #5
kronckew

The cow head mace is a qajar revival parade item, how a mahdist got it would be interesting.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Jack Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
The cow head mace is a qajar revival parade item, how a mahdist got it would be interesting.
Possibly a pilgrimage as I have heard accounts of some Sudanese Sufi leaders going on pilgrimage to Iran and other Islamic countries