Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2023, 12:08 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Budiak with okir

This is an unusual and perhaps not very old Maranao (?) budiak that was included in a lot of items that just finished on an online auction. The wavy-bladed form of budiak is certainly less common than straight-bladed forms, but there are a number of examples around such that it is a recognized variant.

This one is unusual in that it has an okir design in its central panel, with cross-hatching for a background. I think fellow forumite, Rick, may have a similar example. I believe that this style of decoration is Maranao in origin, although Battara can probably give us a better reading.

Budiak with Okir

Name:  Budiak-2.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  25.8 KB
Name:  Budiak-5.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  43.5 KB
Name:  Budiak-3.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  44.6 KB

Maranao Kampilan with Okir

The item following this lot was a kampilan with similar okir work adjacent to the spine of the blade.

Name:  166252437_1_x.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  29.6 KB
Name:  166252437_3_x.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  33.8 KB
Name:  166252437_4_x.png
Views: 318
Size:  451.4 KB

Last edited by Ian; 10th December 2023 at 12:52 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 06:31 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Ian,
Yes I have a kris with this style of decoration. There's a picture of it somewhere in the archives. It's not a toy but a serviceable weapon, yet it seems like something made to catch the eye of 'those who travel for pleasure'. There is no subtlety in its decoration, and it seems a bit coarser compared to older Moro swords.
My guess on the era of these design elements would be the 1920s to the early 1950s. I can't offer any concrete proof; it's just the feeling that I get about this style of decoration; it lacks subtlety and refinement. The forging skills are there but the decoration seems like it was done hurriedly.
I have also noticed about these examples is that they lack the pointy curves that we see so often in later Moro work.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2023, 01:16 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Hi Ian,
Yes I have a kris with this style of decoration. There's a picture of it somewhere in the archives. It's not a toy but a serviceable weapon, yet it seems like something made to catch the eye of 'those who travel for pleasure'. There is no subtlety in its decoration, and it seems a bit coarser compared to older Moro swords.
My guess on the era of these design elements would be the 1920s to the early 1950s. ... I have also noticed about these examples is that they lack the pointy curves that we see so often in later Moro work.
Thanks Rick. Agree on all of those points. The decorative skill seems lacking compared with the twist core elements or silver inlay work seen on other Moro blades.

I have an unmounted kris blade with similar decoration but it does not have a separate gangya, suggesting mid-20th C work. I've also seen a panabas blade so decorated, and on the kampilan shown above. So the style got around a bit.

Here is another budiak with similar decoration, said to be Sulu in origin, that I found on the web.
Attached Images

Old 19th December 2023, 03:16 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Here is an unmounted kris blade that has similar incised decoration. It has no separate gangya and is probably mid-20th C in manufacture.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 19th December 2023 at 03:37 AM.
Old 19th December 2023, 11:02 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I would lean more toward Maguindanao okir. Also, I have seen more Maguindanao engravings like this on Maguindanao pieces than any other, though not saying that they don't exist on others.

But the okir does not scream "Maranao" to me (though if any blade screams, get an exorcist ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote