Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th January 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Exclamation Fijian club sold via ebay?

This has sold for over a grand £. I am far from an expert but I have serious doubts about this. In my opinion this is not old. I suspect it to be made of a light yellow wood stained black. Look at the scratches to the nose so to speak and you can see the yellow wood. I have doubts about the eye and the whole form to the head. It could well be a dance club. Has it been bought as such?? As far as I have seen in books the original model for this syle of club is a fine patinated dark brown wood that looks very heavy. I will add a link for as long as it lasts and I have saved some of the pictures.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2509756431...84.m1423.l2649
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
fearn

As they say, ummmm's the word on this one.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

It does at face value by the images look very similar to those made as gifts to dignitaries visiting the island over the last 30-40 years....I have handled other provenanced club styles of this era made from the same looking timber.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Clubs & Arrows

I think that it is contemporary. I sold an 70s/80s tourist one like this (came in a collection from a guy that went to Fiji during that time) a few years back on ebay, and it went for about the same amount. I didn't understand then, nor now, but it helped pay for my garage drywall. Maybe it's not as much of a popular style to make/sell to tourists, so therefore hard to find.

Joe
Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 09:32 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

I WATCHED THIS ONE. IT WAS REPRESENTED AS 1800'S PROVENANCE BUT THAT WAS BASED ONLY ON SOMEONES WORD. THE PICTURES SHOW A VERY CRISP UNWORN EXAMPLE AND AS POINTED OUT WHAT APPEARS TO BE A THIN COAT OF BLACK DYE OR PAINT.
IT IS A RARE FORM THAT I SUSPECT SERVED MORE OF A CEREMONIAL PURPOSE OR PERHAPS DENOTED HIGH PRIEST CHIEF OR SOMETHING RANK RELATED.
IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE TO TELL FOR SURE IF I HAD THE CLUB IN HAND BUT PAYING THAT KIND OF MONEY WITHOUT BEING SURE OF ITS PROVENANCE JUST BASED ON THE EBAY SALE PICTURES AND INFORMATION IS A BAD BET . I HAVE AN EXAMPLE BUT JUDGEING FROM ITS CONDITION AND WEIGHT I WOULD GUESS IT FROM 1930'S TO 1960 AND PURELY CEREMONIAL OR SYMBOLIC OF RANK.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 03:04 AM   #6
fearn

With all those crosses all over it, I'm not sure I'm buying a priest's staff. It might be colonial, or based on an older form.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Kinikini

Exclamation My opinion.

Iv'e been collecting Oceanic Clubs for 30+ years and in my opinion this "club" is obviously a modern Repro and a waste of money. I have travelled many miles to view various, so called Oceanic Clubs in UK auction houses and 99% of them were Fake/Repro.
Genuine 18th/19thC examples rarely turn up in UK auctions nowadays, if you're lucky enough to find one worth having, it's very likely to make a Lot of money, especially when you add the buyers premium which can sometimes be as high as 25% of the Hammer price.
Never buy without viewing first You could regret it
Kinikini is offline   Reply With Quote