Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Montino Bourbon

Default New Kard... extremely unique.

I'm in Jaipur, where I'm visiting for a month and a half. I was here last January, and I've already told the story of how I went into a large store and was finally admitted to the "back room", after performing a song and dance to convince the salesman that I knew that he was trying to pass off something new as something old, because it had been rubbed in the dirt a little.
At the time, there was a large kard that I had seen, but I could not afford. I was very impressed by the blade profile, which was one of only two fully hollow ground kards that I've ever seen. Returning to Jaipur for a month and a half, I had my driver take me to that store again. The gentleman in question took me to the back room, where I admired the kard that I am talking about. Even though it had been sanded with some very, very rough sandpaper, I loved everything about this knife. I ended up buying it, taking it back to the hotel, and working it over with some very fine crocus cloth, taking hours to try and ameliorate the condition of the blade so that I could etch it. I have not yet etched it, but I suspect that it's wootz. this is only the second kard I've ever seen that has this kind of hollow ground blade rather than a T back blade. I would like to ask all of you if you know of any others like this; most of them are either hollow flat with the T-back blade or more or less triangular. Any opinions?
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote