Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 18th February 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Sword for I.D. and comment

Hi

This sword came with the Spanish/American colonial example that is the subject of another thread. I thought I should also post it for identification and any comments.

Length is approx. 88cm and I can find no marks at all. The double edged blade section (corroded) has a clear flat down the spine, and this along with the two sloping surfaces towards each edge, does make the blade hexagonal. The hilt (damaged) appears to be of brass.

An interesting point is that the blade tip is of a fairly similar rounded profile to the other sword/cutlass posted.

Any information and comments are welcome and thanks in advance.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I would be inclined to put this apparant military sabre as likely Danish or perhaps Swedish, but without further look into resources hard to say. I will say the guard, though missing a section, resembles certain Danish cavalry officers swords of around 1730s, and this sharply angled knuckleguard followed in a number of European patterns well into the Napoleonic period.
While it is tempting to place this into the Spanish classification due to its being acquired in that apparant context, it does seem quite possible this could be something from Netherlands issue, as Spanish presence there was of course well established in the 18th century.
The hexagonal cross section and rounded tip does not uniquely distinguish Spanish swords, as many of these blades were in fact produced in Solingen or if such be the case, Solingen smiths in the Netherlands.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
colin henshaw

Thanks Jim, for the information.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You're very welcome Colin, sorry to not have been more helpful. I'll keep looking of course, as whenever we can identify one of these anomalies it bolsters the learning curve
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
kisak

Unusual looking backstrap IMO, that might be a trail to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I would be inclined to put this apparant military sabre as likely Danish or perhaps Swedish
Sweden can probably be ruled out, there's nothing terribly similar in Berg's books or on display over at the army Museum in Stockholm.
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote