Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd November 2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Raden Usman Djogja

Default Gifts from Niger

dear Friends,

I got those stones from Niger. What do you think? I hope all of you give comments including: what those are, whether those are valuable or not, original or fake. Thank you.

warm regards,
Raden
Attached Images

Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 01:43 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

UNFORTUNATELY IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE IF THEY ARE REAL OR NOT FROM PICTURES. IT IS OFTEN VERY DIFFICULT TO DETERMINE IF THEY ARE REAL OR NOT WHEN YOU HAVE THEM IN HAND.
WE WILL NEED TO HAVE MORE INFORMATION ON THE ITEMS SUCH AS SIZE AND THE MATERIAL IT IS MADE OF AS WELL AS IF THERE IS A SHARP EDGE AND WHERE IT IS LOCATED. THE PRESENCE OF AND LOCATION OF AN EDGE OFTEN DETERMINES WHAT THE OBJECTS USE WAS THE SIZE ALSO PLAYS A PART.
THE FIRST ITEM THAT IS KIND OF T SHAPED IS PROBABLY A SPUD OR A ADZ BLADE ALSO CALLED A CELT. IT IS MOST LIKELY A TOOL BUT COULD ALSO BE FOR CEREMONIAL USE. IF THERE IS NO EDGE I WOULD GUESS CEREMONIAL, IF THE EDGE IS ALONG THE TOP OF THE T A CELT AND IF IT HAS SHARP EDGES ALONG BOTH SIDES OF THE SHAFT EITHER A HAND AX OR A PERFORATOR TOOL DEPENDING LARGELY ON THE SIZE.
THE SMALLER WELL FORMED POINT IS EITHER A SPEAR OR ARROW POINT ONCE AGAIN DEPENDING ON THE SIZE.
THE NEXT FLAKED ITEM IS EITHER A CELT OR A KNIFE MOST LIKELY.

THE ROUND RING SHAPED ITEM IS PROBABLY DECORATIVE OR CEREMONIAL IT APPEARS TO BE STONE.
THE DAGGER LIKE ITEM MAY BE METAL OR STONE I CAN'T TELL BUT IF IT IS BRONZE IT WILL BE WORTH LOOKING INTO TO SEE WHAT CAN BE FOUND OUT.
ONE OF THE FORUM RULES IS WE DON'T GIVE PRICES OR APRAISALS FOR ITEMS AND I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO HELP ON THAT EVEN IF IT WERE PERMITTED.
GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

Hello,

Stone arrow point and wristlet should be original. This items use to be found on Sahara and sold to tourists. There is a questionmark above the others.

Ragards,

Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote