Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th April 2019, 06:56 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Algerian Pistol - Sad Story with Happy Ending

Hello All.

Back Story: I won this pistol at auction late last year. The first two photos below shows how the pistol arrived after unpacking. Fortunately, the shipment was insured. So I took photos and gathered all the paperwork and evidence, and filed a claim with FED-X. A couple months later I finally received a phone call asking me to bring everything to one of their local branches. The adjuster was actually very nice and reasonable. While we both agreed the box itself could have been a bit better for shipping, it was packed well enough that it should have arrived unharmed. But he had to agree that at some point the box was sitting on one end and something heavy was dropped on it. There was no mistake about this with the evidence on the box. DARN. I really wanted this pistol but knew I would have to be satisfied just getting a refund for all/most of my cost. Then, the adjuster asked me what I think it would cost to repair the stock. And I said probably about half the cost or more of what I paid for it. And then the adjuster asked me something I was not ready for. He offered to refund about 2/3rds my cost - AND - I would keep the pistol !! And I agreed. Did not expect this at all.

Second Problem: There was wood missing from the lower rear lock area that had been painted/stained black so it did not show up well in the black and white auction photos. As well some of the silver stock decoration was missing around the lock and barrel tang area. Neither of these issues was disclosed in the auction description.

So, as you can imagine, I was very disappointed all around. I'll post Phase-II on the next post.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote