Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd August 2014, 04:54 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Matched Pair Of Philippine Bolos

Hello everyone, I was lucky enough to be able to acquire these two matched Luzon bolos for my collection and as they arrived today I am posting a few photos hopefully for everyones enjoyment. The carving of the horn hilts (aside from the bug damage) is some of the finest that I have ever seen. I am not sure if the plating on the blades is chrome or only nickel, but either way the chemical stripper that I once used I found is again available so it won't be as hard to remove as it has been. The one thing positive about the plating is that it has kept the blades from rusting. The fittings are made from coin silver and thankfully had not been plated when the blades were. The measurements are;

Total length = 23-1/2 inches
Blade length = 16-1/2 inches in length
Width at widest point = 2-3/8 inches
Thickness at hilt = 9/32 inch

Later I will post new photos after I have had a chance to remove the plating from the blades and etch them. Any comments or information that anyone would like to add or share on these will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 24th August 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 06:09 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

CONGRATULATIONS! A NICE LARGE MATCHED PAIR. THE HORN CARVING LOOKS LIKE THE EXCELLENT WORK WE HAVE DISCUSSED BEFORE MADE SOMEWHERE ON LUZON IF I REMEMBER RIGHT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Barry, Thank you very much for your kind words on these. Yes, I would agree that this work was definately done on Luzon and remember the photo of the carver at his workbench that I believe Jose posted. These are very large and impressive pieces and I was shocked when they finally showed up today. I had made the deal on these Monday relying solely on the above photos that the seller provided and waiting for them to arrive was nerve wracking. My only disappointment was the plating on the blades. Can anyone identify what the object being held in the hands are. They look like a staff of some sort with leaves protruding from the end. After these are restored I am actually thinking of having new leather sheaths (tooled in a style appropriate to their age) made for them as finding old originals would be pretty much an impossible task.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 24th August 2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 23rd August 2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

I am sorry Barry, but I was mistaken it was Dimasalang who posted the photo of the "Bolo Maker"in the earlier thread, not Jose. My memory is fading faster and faster as the years go by. The original thread can be seen here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...2Bolo+Maker%22 I hope that Dimasalang does not mind if just to make it easier to see again I post a copy of the photo here too. Anyone interested in these items should really check out this older very informative thread.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2014, 07:08 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

ITS NOT APPARENT AT FIRST BUT HE IS HOLDING A LONG UNFINISHED BLADE WITH THE CLIPPED BOWIE POINT. I AM NOT SURE WHAT HE HAS UP NEAR THE TANG PERHAPS SOME CLOTH. WOULD'NT IT BE COOL IF IT IS A PICTURE OF HIM MAKING ONE OF YOUR KNIVES .
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

THAT would be great, but in the close-up it looks as though the hilt is slightly different than mine. Look at the carving on the wrist area in this picture and you will see what I mean.
Attached Images

Old 25th August 2014, 08:05 AM   #7
Sajen

Lovely pair Robert! Please keep us updated, I special would like to see the new leather scabbards. Where you let work them?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 11:57 PM   #8
Robert
EAAF Staff

Thank you Detlef, I not sure yet where I will have the sheaths made. There are quite a few good leather shops and saddle makers in the area of the country where I live so I am going to have to look around before I really decide who will make them. If anyone here in the states has anyone that they would like to recommend for making these scabbards, please PM me with their contact information.

Best,
Robert