Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th May 2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
So for me personally, the idea of purchasing "every other book that they can get their hands on" is not really a workable model, especially given that many books on keris come with a large price tag given they can only really be sold in a rather limited market and end up being little more than repetition of old info with a few new snazzy photos attached.
I agree with you David and this applies especially to the Balinese/ Lombok krisses for which the true experts seem to have vanished, or are not in position to write something relevant for the collectors.
Since the master kris book "Keris Bali bersejarah" was published by Pak Neka, the book shown by Marco is the third one recently written about Balinese kris, one of them by Pak Neka himself and the other by his co-author, and this last one directed by Javanese authors....
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
I agree with you David and this applies especially to the Balinese/ Lombok krisses for which the true experts seem to have vanished, or are not in position to write something relevant for the collectors.
Since the master kris book "Keris Bali bersejarah" was published by Pak Neka, the book shown by Marco is the third one recently written about Balinese kris, one of them by Pak Neka himself and the other by his co-author, and this last one directed by Javanese authors....
I would very much like to buy this book,Keris Bali bersejarah" which is about sgd200 plus but it is not in English and therefore I hesitate for very long time. Therefore I am aiming for the last one which you mentioned.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G.
I would very much like to buy this book,Keris Bali bersejarah" which is about sgd200 plus but it is not in English and therefore I hesitate for very long time. Therefore I am aiming for the last one which you mentioned.
After weeks of hesitation, I finally bought this book which shipped from Europe. I would said, good book.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 06:43 PM   #4
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G.
After weeks of hesitation, I finally bought this book which shipped from Europe. I would said, good book.
Now, this is a book that I would love to have in English!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 09:51 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Jean, I started field work for information gathering of keris in 1974. I had visited Jawa and Bali a few times before that, but it was in 1974 that I began to understand what I needed to do and how to do it.

Gathering information in Jawa was not really so difficult, there were plenty of people with some knowledge and at the level I was working at all through the 1970's I had no difficulty at all in filling notebooks with things I had not previously known or understood. Of course, from 1982 forward it was a very different game,but my early efforts produced a lot of general knowledge type info. But only in Jawa.

Bali was and is different. Genuine keris knowledge in Bali is a very different matter. Keris understanding in Bali is woven into Balinese religious beliefs, it is something that is quite simply not available for the asking.

You have mentioned Pande Wayan Suteja Neka's Big Bali Keris Book.

Who wrote the text for that book? Have you closely examined this text and tested it?

The usual "knowledge" that collectors of anything at all cherish is names and dates. Provided we stay within those parameters the keris of Bali does not really pose too many problems. But if we wish to understand the keris in its cultural and societal contexts in Bali we are faced with some barriers that in my experience can be almost impossible to scale. Talking to the people who supposedly have a somewhat deeper knowledge of the Balinese keris than is usual will not help you very much.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey

You have mentioned Pande Wayan Suteja Neka's Big Bali Keris Book.

Who wrote the text for that book? Have you closely examined this text and tested it?

The usual "knowledge" that collectors of anything at all cherish is names and dates. Provided we stay within those parameters the keris of Bali does not really pose too many problems. But if we wish to understand the keris in its cultural and societal contexts in Bali we are faced with some barriers that in my experience can be almost impossible to scale. Talking to the people who supposedly have a somewhat deeper knowledge of the Balinese keris than is usual will not help you very much.
Yes Alan, I have to agree with you and I know that the Neka's big keris book was mostly written by his Javanese co-author, which makes it somewhat questionable, but it is the "best" available source of common Balinese kris knowledge for the collectors. And it seems to me that the Garrett Kam's book tries to address the role of the kris in the Balinese culture?
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 12:31 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Jean, I will not be drawn on this matter.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote