Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th September 2007, 10:16 PM   #31
galvano

Default hello Jim

For me its Indian blade
I do not see the stamp well.
The blade is thick and heavy.
In the hand the sword is unbalanced and heavy towards the blade.
galvano
galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 10:41 PM   #32
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
OK Rick! Its 'Great Game'-o-phobia!! You're seeing our much discussed Afghan armoury stamp again! Actually though, I think that stamp occurred in a different position on the blades, at least on those Afghan military sabres. It seems it was the cartouche with the Mosque with what appear to be cannons on either side if I recall, and was stamped in the ricasso block nearest the blade edge. I dont think this is the stamp, but as you note, we cant really see it, and I dont recall if that stamp was found on any other weapons or blade locations.

Heres a few more examples of the supposed Mazar I sharif marking from my personal collection, I know & can probably obtain numerous varitions of examples on re stamped English as well as Afghan blades blades up to the 1920s. {Which of course by then were set within a sun marking.

Interestingly although it does indeed show the blue mosque at Mazar al sharif it is also actualy the standard Royal Afghamn coat of arms as seen on all Afghan coins etc. minted at Kabul etc. at that time.

I wonder if ther is any evidence to point to the mazar armoury compared to it bieng just the Royal Afghan issue mark? without a particular armoury attachment?

Anyone any facts to share?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 11:24 PM   #33
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very impressive grouping Spiral!!! Thanks for posting these.
It is really interesting to see a kukri with Afghan weapons! though I know the Afghan military followed British military fashion closely in the latter 19th c. and military issue kukris would seem in line. Was that the case?

Your point on the marking corresponding to those on coins of the period is spot on, this was how I originally confirmed the stamped marking on a c.1890's Afghan miliary sabre. Nusimatics can sometimes be very helpful in blade marking identification.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 11:44 PM   #34
spiral

Hi Jim, I think that particular kukri is offcial Afghan military issue, but i have others that are much more Afghan tribal as well, I think the Afghans copied any sword firearm or knife they found usefull?

I know of & have seen kukri captured from Afghanis by the 9th Gurkhas as late as 1932 in Waziristan during "incidents" with Afghan based tribes.

The bayonet is an Afghan copy of the 1888 Brit, lee metford bayonet, the sabre I guess is for Afghan cavalry? it seems rather kilij in style to me? But such weapons are not truly my strong point.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote